Any Fishing Enthusiasts here ?

Pics
awesome job Phil

anyone here every fish for bass before? i plan on going after them (large mouth bass) and have a few questions. what type of lures to you use? do you use bait? or fish for them like northern pike? any tips would be awesome, next are they good eating? i plan on keeping 1 to try and give it a taste. also sorry if these questions sound dumb, am more after trout,walleye, perch and pike etc...

next has anyone every gone after bull head catfish? they say there good eating and found out that by are only bass lake in the province is a river that has bullheads in it. so again how to you fish for these little guys?  

What is the water temperature where you will be fishing for large mouth bass?

What is the water temperature where you will be fishing for large mouth bass?
to be honest i have no idea, all i know is that the water is heated so it stays warm enough year round for large mouth bass to survive in. (its a dam/power plant) because every other body of water is too cold for bass to survive in. :)

awesome job Phil

anyone here every fish for bass before? i plan on going after them (large mouth bass) and have a few questions. what type of lures to you use? do you use bait? or fish for them like northern pike? any tips would be awesome, next are they good eating? i plan on keeping 1 to try and give it a taste. also sorry if these questions sound dumb, am more after trout,walleye, perch and pike etc...

next has anyone every gone after bull head catfish? they say there good eating and found out that by are only bass lake in the province is a river that has bullheads in it. so again how to you fish for these little guys?  

My favorite bass lures are rattlin rapalas or bill lewis rat-l-traps, buzz baits plugs, spoons, phoebe or krocodile sometimes but I have the best luck with the first two rattlin one's, medium size, and they have weight so cast awesome.
I usually throw bass in a cooler with ice or even sometimes filet them right out first, they never live on a stringer or in a bucket and end up tasting strong fishy if you don't.
They taste good and easy to filet, not as tasty as perch or crappie though IMHO.

We fish for bullhead as often as we can in the summer, one of our favorites. They can get quite large. Catfish are not very plentiful here but bullheads are in about every body of water.
Nighttime fishing with night walkers, cut bait works awesome. I usually just before dark catch a few small bluegills and fillet them out for bait, they seem to prefer them boneless Lol! The cut baits nice cause it usually stays on the hook and you can re-use it for many fish. Usually bait some poles with nightwalkers and some with cut bait.
Never had luck with chicken livers, tried pieces of bloody venison liver stays on hook good but no bites.
I like to use snelled hooks with bullhead (never any other fish) and a snap swivel. If they swallow the bait I leave the hook in and recover them after cleaning. That way they all stay alive in the bucket. After a late night fishing I rarely feel like cleaning them, wait till next morning. They usually stay alive no matter but I like to put the bucket in the bathtub with water trickling in it.

to be honest i have no idea, all i know is that the water is heated so it stays warm enough year round for large mouth bass to survive in. (its a dam/power plant) because every other body of water is too cold for bass to survive in. :) 
our bass live just fine in pond and lakes that freeze over. Bass season here starts 3rd weekend in June, after they spawn. Boy you can nail them before the season, they'll nail with a vengeance anything you reel through their spawning beds
1f606.png

Last edited:

Black bass prefer water about 80º They will be around structure /tree stumps temperature of water and color of water determine lure choice and color. If the water is around 80º it doesn't matter what you throw at them they will hit it. The colder it gets the slower you will want to work the lure . I personally love artificial worms Texas rig. If the surface temperature of the water is above 75º I like carolina rigged worms and move to deeper water. Spinner baits work great also. Cat fish love structure also fish on the bottom with anything that stinks. We use chicken liver, or stink bait and we use treble hooks.

My favorite bass lures are rattlin rapalas or bill lewis rat-l-traps, buzz baits plugs, spoons, phoebe or krocodile sometimes but I have the best luck with the first two rattlin one's, medium size, and they have weight so cast awesome.
I usually throw bass in a cooler with ice or even sometimes filet them right out first, they never live on a stringer or in a bucket and end up tasting strong fishy if you don't.
They taste good and easy to filet, not as tasty as perch or crappie though IMHO.

We fish for bullhead as often as we can in the summer, one of our favorites. They can get quite large. Catfish are not very plentiful here but bullheads are in about every body of water.
Nighttime fishing with night walkers, cut bait works awesome. I usually just before dark catch a few small bluegills and fillet them out for bait, they seem to prefer them boneless Lol! The cut baits nice cause it usually stays on the hook and you can re-use it for many fish. Usually bait some poles with nightwalkers and some with cut bait.
Never had luck with chicken livers, tried pieces of bloody venison liver stays on hook good but no bites.
I like to use snelled hooks with bullhead (never any other fish) and a snap swivel. If they swallow the bait I leave the hook in and recover them after cleaning. That way they all stay alive in the bucket. After a late night fishing I rarely feel like cleaning them, wait till next morning. They usually stay alive no matter but I like to put the bucket in the bathtub with water trickling in it.
our bass live just fine in pond and lakes that freeze over. Bass season here starts 3rd weekend in June, after they spawn. Boy you can nail them before the season, they'll nail with a vengeance anything you reel through their spawning beds
1f606.png
thank you, are season starts may 5th (well it opens up for every fish at the same time) planning to get out there and give it a try before June. also whats a good recipe for them or are they the same as walleye or perch.

thank you again on the bull heads. we don't have blue gills where i live. but would love to try and fish for them. but back on topic with the bull heads you just cast from shore? or do they prefer the deeper waters? thanks.
Black bass prefer water about 80º They will be around structure /tree stumps temperature of water and color of water determine lure choice and color. If the water is around 80º it doesn't matter what you throw at them they will hit it. The colder it gets the slower you will want to work the lure . I personally love artificial worms Texas rig. If the surface temperature of the water is above 75º I like carolina rigged worms and move to deeper water. Spinner baits work great also. Cat fish love structure also fish on the bottom with anything that stinks. We use chicken liver, or stink bait and we use treble hooks.
thank you, never been to the lake (boundary dam) but planning on trying it this spring. will have to google what a Texas/Carolina rigs are, but you fish from shore or boat for them?

thank you, are season starts may 5th (well it opens up for every fish at the same time) planning to get out there and give it a try before June. also whats a good recipe for them or are they the  same as walleye or perch. 

thank you again on the bull heads. we don't have blue gills where i live. but would love to try and fish for them. but back on topic with the bull heads you just cast from shore? or do they prefer the deeper waters? thanks. 
thank you, never been to the lake (boundary dam) but planning on trying it this spring. will have to google what a Texas/Carolina rigs are, but you fish from shore or boat for them? 

Both. If the water is warm enough they will be a few feet from shore.

Back
Top Bottom