Any gender guesses (several pics)

Haha very funny...
lol.png

Freckles is supposed to be a Cuckoo Marans so hopefully that is what we have. I'll hold out hope that she stays a she. She did start getting her comb really early, but I thought I read somewhere that that breed does anyway so they are harder to sex.

Thanks to someone earlier for pointing out that I have light brahmas... I got them at a Feed Store in Half Moon Bay (CA) and they said they were buff brahmas - I should have known the the difference because I've seen buffs and mine are white and black. DUH. I really hope Honey (the Ameraucana) stays a she because she is the prettiest of the bunch. I love the feathers under her beak and her green legs.

I'm going to try to stay hopeful (or slightly delusional) that they are all pullets. Seems I keep seeing roos on CL so I'm sure they aren't as easy to find homes for, and we're not going to eat them. I love chicken, but I can't eat my pets.
wink.png

If you could get a good side shot of Freckles, that may help - I can't really see for sure if those are saddle feathers. The 'feathers under the beak' on your EE is called a beard, and I think she also has "muffs", the feathers more on the side of her face. If Honey is a he, you can name him "Blackbeard" or some other pirate name! The coloring on Honey could go either way. Always hard to tell with EE's.

Ok, the pic in the middle is Freckles. From another site, the pic on the left is a roo and the one on the right is a hen. I'm thinking at this point Freckles looks more like a hen.

I read on another site someone suggested throwing a paper airplane over their heads... they're hens if they cower and roos if the look up defensively.

marans.png

I was looking online for trying to determine if Shadow is a he/she but couldn't find much. I did find one post that someone said their combs were much bigger at 10 weeks for a roo.

Roos are so beautiful, I'd love to have one one day, but so loud. I didn't realize how loud they can be until we were near a coop with a rooster last weekend. My idea of letting a rooster sneak by and stay was killed right there.

I am going against the grain. I think she has ALL pullets. I think little old Freckles is just a large combed girl. And I have seen CM pullets on here that had the same and were on the lighter side. I would wait until you hear a crow before getting rid of it either way. They are all so sweet looking. A very nice mix of breeds.
You must be in the south to have that much green still and have a coop that open.
big_smile.png

Also, with that coloring, the EE is a girl.

Last edited:
Just like to second the opinion that you have excellent photos. Great job!! I know our girls aren't so easy to photograph...
thumbsup.gif

I don't have any opinions on gender that haven't already been stated.

I'm hoping Santa gave me all girls! I'll be sorta good, I swear!
lol.png

I live in San Jose, CA... no snow here. Just cold and wet right now. Poor girls are still getting used to their new coop. They have figured out how to get out, but I came home and found them all huddled together crying underneath because they were cold and damp. I gave them all some hugs and put them back in the coop with fresh shavings and they mellowed out. They really wanted out of their brooder box because they were getting so big, but now they are feeling insecure.

I think putting the large round roosts was a bad idea. We need to swap them for 2x4s and make it easier for them. Only problem is hubby screwed one side in and where the screw is the run covers it so we can't get to it. They also knocked their food bin off the wall so I am sure they were mad about not being able to get to it for a little while. I need to figure out a better way to secure it.

I really hope I don't have to get rid of any - we've already become attached to all of them.

Back
Top Bottom