Any Guinea Pigs Owners Out There?

Quote:
Well I used to have Guinea pigs.... None now . Very long story...
caf.gif
You see My son was about five when My Mom in her infinite wisdom told him
rant.gif
I should get him a rabbit. (That whole mom thing is a story in itself
he.gif
) I used to work in a petshop when I was in my twenties and Have been sliced and diced by rabbits so I said emphatically no. But I loved the Guinea Pigs and knew what a good pet they would be.

Sooo I found an add in the local Pennysaver. Guinea pigs 2.00 a piece. So off we went to the next town to get a couple of Guinea pigs. With a plastic shopping basket in the back seat. The woman had had chickens at one time and there were at least twenty chicken coops and runs out there. And every where you could look there were guinea pigs.... OH MY GAWD they were cute.
love.gif

She was only selling the females she took one look at us and I am certain she saw Sucker printed in my forehead. We came away with one pregnant female and two males for FREE. Oh my gawd they were cute. Momma was like a football and the boys would Sing to her. There were very few squabbles. I built a small coop for them and we had lots of fun. I would set my son down in a hard walled kiddy wading pool and hand him a guinea pig. It was great when it would wiggle out of his grasp the piggie would run around and around in the pool. Sigh those were simple days.
smile.png

Then momma had her five countem five babies....
ep.gif
I didint know she would allow the boys to breed her back within an hour or two.
th.gif
Then momma had another three babies.... Chicken math has nothing compared to Guinea pig math....
hmm.png
One of those babies was a boy that was covered with Cow licks and he was wilder than a march hair... so I named him Wild Child. So Now I know to separate the boys from the girls.... I built another pen.... what I didnt know was how to sex the babies and when they were capable of reproduction....
ep.gif

Fast forward. Now I have thirty Piggies... Still loving them Finally learned how to determine sex before breeding age. Ahem for the most part. Have the Yard converted to a Guinea pig compound.
idunno.gif
Chainlink fence lined with piggie proof chicken wire. Yard divided in half for the boys and girls Gosh they were sooo cute weeding the garden theyd go into a bush that had grass poking out of it and youd see the grass.... wiggle wiggle wiggle the it would dissappear down into the bush as if a flag was being lowered.

Then one day I was in a hurry for work. by now I was feeding them Alfalfa flakes right off a bale of alfalfa. Cheepest way. Along with their Vitimine C veggies. I went and threw a flake into the boys pen and one into the girls pen and left for work. When i came home that night I counted noses and one of the boys was missing. There was a flake of hay sitting next to the fence. I looked in the girls pen and here was Wild Child stretched out in the middle as if he were smoking a cigarrette.
rant.gif
Calmest I had ever seen him.

I had a bumper crop of babies that time. Soo cute all born with a big squeek and ready to wait in line for the spiggots. Sigh It was then I realized I had a Trouble with Tribbles problem. By the time every one was grown up I had more than sixty. They were no longer cute...
barnie.gif
I started giving them away. Found pet shops that would take them if they promised not to feed them to the snakes. I finally brought the last twenty with me to work and gave them to a fellow whos wife was from Chile.... he was very happy to get them.

So as a Recovering Guinepig aholic..... I cant go there again but still love them to death. They are Soo Cute if they belong to someone else.... Sigh

perchie.girl :

Quote:
caf.gif
rant.gif
he.gif
) I used to work in a petshop when I was in my twenties and Have been sliced and diced by rabbits so I said emphatically no. But I loved the Guinea Pigs and knew what a good pet they would be.

Sooo I found an add in the local Pennysaver. Guinea pigs 2.00 a piece. So off we went to the next town to get a couple of Guinea pigs. With a plastic shopping basket in the back seat. The woman had had chickens at one time and there were at least twenty chicken coops and runs out there. And every where you could look there were guinea pigs.... OH MY GAWD they were cute.
love.gif

She was only selling the females she took one look at us and I am certain she saw Sucker printed in my forehead. We came away with one pregnant female and two males for FREE. Oh my gawd they were cute. Momma was like a football and the boys would Sing to her. There were very few squabbles. I built a small coop for them and we had lots of fun. I would set my son down in a hard walled kiddy wading pool and hand him a guinea pig. It was great when it would wiggle out of his grasp the piggie would run around and around in the pool. Sigh those were simple days.
smile.png

ep.gif
th.gif
Then momma had another three babies.... Chicken math has nothing compared to Guinea pig math....
hmm.png
One of those babies was a boy that was covered with Cow licks and he was wilder than a march hair... so I named him Wild Child. So Now I know to separate the boys from the girls.... I built another pen.... what I didnt know was how to sex the babies and when they were capable of reproduction....
ep.gif

Fast forward. Now I have thirty Piggies... Still loving them Finally learned how to determine sex before breeding age. Ahem for the most part. Have the Yard converted to a Guinea pig compound.
idunno.gif
Chainlink fence lined with piggie proof chicken wire. Yard divided in half for the boys and girls Gosh they were sooo cute weeding the garden theyd go into a bush that had grass poking out of it and youd see the grass.... wiggle wiggle wiggle the it would dissappear down into the bush as if a flag was being lowered.

Then one day I was in a hurry for work. by now I was feeding them Alfalfa flakes right off a bale of alfalfa. Cheepest way. Along with their Vitimine C veggies. I went and threw a flake into the boys pen and one into the girls pen and left for work. When i came home that night I counted noses and one of the boys was missing. There was a flake of hay sitting next to the fence. I looked in the girls pen and here was Wild Child stretched out in the middle as if he were smoking a cigarrette.
rant.gif

I had a bumper crop of babies that time. Soo cute all born with a big squeek and ready to wait in line for the spiggots. Sigh It was then I realized I had a Trouble with Tribbles problem. By the time every one was grown up I had more than sixty. They were no longer cute...
barnie.gif
I started giving them away. Found pet shops that would take them if they promised not to feed them to the snakes. I finally brought the last twenty with me to work and gave them to a fellow whos wife was from Chile.... he was very happy to get them.

So as a Recovering Guinepig aholic..... I cant go there again but still love them to death. They are Soo Cute if they belong to someone else.... Sigh

OMG!
Just - wow.

smile.png

perchie.girl :

Quote:
caf.gif
rant.gif
he.gif

love.gif

smile.png

ep.gif
th.gif
hmm.png
ep.gif

idunno.gif

rant.gif

barnie.gif

th.gif
Wow! The breeder I bought from only had 35 guinea pigs! I can imagine how stressful that could have been! I had mice for a time, 4 females and one male. I would probably have ended up with at least 60 too, if the mothers hadn't eaten all their babies. Minus the heads, and sometimes other assorted body parts. PERMANENTLY put me off ever having mice again. I'm just happy my cousin fell in love and took them back to Virginia with her. I think all small furry creatures should best be kept in small quantities for the sake of our love and sanity.​

perchie.girl :

Quote:
caf.gif
rant.gif
he.gif

love.gif

smile.png

ep.gif
th.gif
hmm.png
ep.gif

idunno.gif

rant.gif

barnie.gif

So I can imagine this wasn't funny at the time but I can't help but say I loved this story! I was laughing so hard my DH who was looking at me like I was nuts, so I read it to him and he was busting up too! He especially liked the Trouble with Tribbles reference (BIG Star Trek nerds in this house). We used to raise pet rats so were only laughing because we've been there done that.... It's amazing how fast prey animals reproduce, isn't it?

We have two Piggies at our house at the moment who are both confirmed girls!​

Back
Top Bottom