Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    How about chocolate cookies with peanut butter icing?
    They'd be little BO chicks.

1 person likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I love oatmeal raisin cookies and how sweet to bless your neighbor with some.

I really like this recipe another easy favorite and so good with fresh picked berries

TennTuckey Cobbler

11/4 cups of sugar
    1Cup self rising- flour
    1cup milk
    1/2cup butter melted
    2cups blk berries/blue berries or what ever kind of berries you have on hand
    ice cream opt.

Whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk just until blended: whisk in melted butter.
    Pour batter into a lightly greased 12X8" or 11X8" baking dish; sprinkle berries and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar evenly over top of batter.
    Bake cobbler at 350* for 1 hr. or until golden brown and bubbly. Top with a scoop of ice cream
    Makes 6 serving..

I always double this one too.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sounds good. Wow,I can picture chocolate hens with white icing for the stripes - may do that one later.
    But found mom's chocolate fudge icing recipe & it dries firm enough for a cookie icing….so gonna try the peanut butter cookies - found a recipe that is for cutters. Gotta get DH to grocery tomorrow to get more peanut butter and cocoa powder...[​IMG]
    This sounds really close to my peach cobbler recipe. 1 C sugar + 1 C SR flour + 1 C milk beaten. Melt 1 stick of butter in dish, pour in batter and spoon peaches on top. Tried once with apples, but had a mental lapse and put the apples in first, was ok, but it really makes a difference to put the fruit on top..

4. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @NorthFLChick Would you share your oatmeal raisin cookie recipe or if has been previously posted, let me know and I'll find it. I really love those and would like to do some after Easter cookies are done and eaten..[​IMG]

Hey guys questions for all:

I decided to do the sugar cookies with vanilla, almond flavors and cream cheese. ( and tomorrow the p-butter with fudge icing) OMG the batter smells wonderful, is in fridge chilling. It felt a little stickier than I thought it should be, but decided to leave it alone til cooled and see how it rolls.

I'm not much of a cookie baker & would luv your input:

1- if it is still too wet when cool, can't I just knead in a little flour and roll?

2- I have never been able to decide where the center of my oven is --- yes I'm OCD - I have an older model ( like me) oven with 4 levels & 2 racks - one is flat and one has a light rise on it. I think the second from the bottom with the flat rack hits exactly mid oven ---or is it not that specific to get even cooking on cookies?

3- Do y'all bake on air cookie pans, regular sheet pans, and do you bake on parchment paper or not?

4- Do you bake more than one pan at a time ?- not sure I'm ready for that, just curious...[​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

It does sound very similar, I love easy and you can't beat this one for easy. Those cookies sound yummy would love to see a pic when finished.

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    1. If adding flour do not kneed it. That will make the cookies tough as the gluten gets stretched. Sprinkle a bit on the top of the dough like you do when working with pie dough.

2. Turn the pan half way through. Older ovens have hot and cold spots because the insulation inside the oven settles.

3. I am using cookie sheets from KAF(king arthur flour) [​IMG] http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/cookie-sheet-large

I line the pan with parchment paper.

4. I use one pan at a time.

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I made these brownies yesterday:

Tom’s Brownies
    pre heat oven to 350
    2oz semi sweet chocolate bar
    1/3 C baking cocoa
    ½ C plus 2tbl. Boiling water.
    ½ C plus 2 TBL. Vegetable oil
    4 tbl melted butter
    2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 ½ C Sugar
    1 ¾ C flour
    1 tsp salt
    6 oz chunked bitter chocolate
    Shave semi‐sweet chocolate. Add cocoa powder to large bowl. Pour boiling water over cocoa and whisk.
    Whisk after adding each: semi‐sweet chocolate, oil and butter, egg mixture, vanilla and sugar. Fold in
    flour and salt. Mix in bitter chocolate.
    Pour into parchment or nonstick aluminum lined 9x13 inch pan. Bake 30 minutes until tooth pick comes
    out clean. Cool for an hour and then cut and serve.

1 person likes this.
  8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks for info. I have a couple of pizza pans by same company, wonder if those will work?
    Now that the dough is getting cold, it does feel better. Still gonna let it chill a little longer. Before I try to get those chicks cut and baking.
    Don't plan to do the chocolate ones now, but want to try in future. But will post pics --good or again bad. lol - when all are completed and iced.

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Here's the cookie recipe I used the other day:

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1/2 Cup + 6 Tab butter, softened
    3/4 Cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 Cup white sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt (optional)
    3 Cups oatmeal (instant or regular)
    1 Cup raisins

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
    Beat butter & sugars until creamy. Add eggs & vanilla, beat well.
    Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon & salt (if using). Mix well.
    Add oats & raisins, mix.
    Drop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment-covered baking sheet.
    Bake 8-12 minutes, til lightly browned.
    Cool 1 minute on sheet; then remove to wire rack.

Notes
    1. Next time I'll leave the salt out, it added a faint salty taste that wasn't horrible but I didn't care for it in a cookie.
    2. Soak the raisins before adding to the batter. Just put the 1 Cup of raisins in enough water to cover, follow the steps until the raisins have to be added. Drain the raisins well before adding. I really liked the way the raisins didn't get dried out and hard doing the pre-soak. The raisins plumped up and stayed moist during baking.

2 people like this.
  10. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @sunflour , can you share that sugar cookie recipe? It sounds wonderful. I'll be interested in hearing how they roll out.

x2 on what @ronott1 said about the flour (don't knead, just sprinkle so cookie dough doesn't stick) and I always use parchment paper (not only does it help the dough to not stick, it makes clean up really easy).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by