Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

The pie looks delish.

2. new2pheasants

new2pheasants Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2012
    Cloverdale, BC
    Its so pretty, nice meringue onlyorps! Congratulations also! How far along are you? I'm about 25 weeks.

My husband gained a fair bit of weight with me through the first pregnancy but I did better loosing mine, he's doing so good with his commitment to getting in shape so far. His issue is portion control, he's twice my size and eats two to three times as much as me.

One of my favorite desserts is a raspberry ribbon pie, I always make one for Canada day, here's a recipe, I generally make a pie crust.
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/contest-winning-raspberry-ribbon-pie

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Salmon is nice- with a wild rice and a green salad.

we are having black beans and pork chops. Not a lemon pie sort of meal.

This thread does not help my diet much.[​IMG]

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Everything and anything goes with lemon pie..[​IMG]

Great looking meringue.

5. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Congratulations on the upcoming little one!

If it's not too much work, I'd like to see a recipe or two from your bread book. The bread book I have by Peter Reinheart (sp?) turned out to be a bit of wasted money, every recipe calls for the dough to sit in the fridge overnight and I don't always want to bake that way. His book does talk a lot about the science of baking and that's been helpful, just not crazy about the recipes.

I love to make soups & stews! DH does most of the cooking but I get those to do (although he makes a killer chili).

Congrats on your upcoming baby too!

Your pie looks wonderful, really nice job on the meringue.

1 person likes this.
  6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @NorthFLChick

Guess we should post failures as well as success. Hey, everyone needs to laugh to be healthy...[​IMG]

My first chicken salad was awesome, just sorry I made such a small amount. But gotta a lot to learn about cookie cutters. And sure no one could guess my first major in college was math..lol.

Got out the bread, picked up the cutters and OMG the egg shaped cutter was way too big….geometry huh.

So, decided to just cut the chick shape….well…decided to make the sandwiches first --BIG MISTAKE - with celery in the mix, the cutter couldn't get thru the salad..

Really. I thought it would work. If I try it again, will have to cut the bread first…oh so much trouble. But it was delicious.

Place this photo in the hall of shame. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Wow, that ribbon pie looks wonderful! Our raspberry bushes are greening up now, if we get enough berries, I'd like to try that recipe. So you make it with a traditional pie crust, not the cookie crust?

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hey @sunflour , glad your chicken salad turned out well. We had garlic roasted chicken tonight and that's what I'm making with the leftovers tomorrow (plus Kaiser rolls to eat it on).

Good for you on giving the cutters a try. It probably would have worked to cut the bread first (or maybe lightly toasted it first?). Glad you posted, you're right, we need to share our "lessons" as well as our hits (remember my Christmas gingerbread men, lol). That's a really pretty plate by the way.

1 person likes this.
  9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Oh and hats off to you for having a major in math! My worst subject...if it hadn't been for my dad's help (he was an engineer), I wouldn't have made it out of junior high school. Give me English or art or just about anything else...math was a nightmare.

10. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Didn't finish math major, swapped to Bio and Chem my second year...

I loved math…and now can't add without a calculator...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by