Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. new2pheasants

new2pheasants Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2012
    Cloverdale, BC

I would make soup, portion and freeze. When I was working anyways, my pots aren't big enough to make so much that my husband will let me put any in the freezer.
    Love broccoli soup, I've done a broccoli, spinach, cream cheese mixture and wrapped it up in philo pastry and froze that in individual portions. Pull, thaw, bake and yum!

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    That sounds great! I have some philo dough in the freezer too!
    I'll dig around for some recipes.

3. N F C

N F C just 1 more cup pls Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi @new2pheasants , nice to have you join us! Looking forward to seeing some of your bread and desert recipes.

The pastry, broccoli, spinach, cream cheese sounds delicious. I love things we can make up ahead, freeze and pull out as needed.

4. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    I don't fallow a recipie. I used 8 eggs mixed with some milk over the top of the potatoes, broccoli, cheese, onion and sausage. We use to make it a lot where we just threw in whatever leftovers we had to make enought for another meal. I've also made it with salmon (yum!) yams, asparagus. All kinds of things. And I said quicke, but it was actually a frittata. I didn't make a crust.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Sounds so good and easy too just like I like it.

6. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    Oh, this sounds amazing! Would be great for a summer time get together!

7. new2pheasants

May 15, 2012
    Cloverdale, BC
    I look forward to seeing all the recipes posted, I'm terrible and a lot of the food I make I don't really follow a recipe, I just feel it out. I have one bread book "Dough simple contemporary bread" by Richard Bertinet, that I really enjoy using, if anyone wants I could post some of the recipes.
    I make bread once as week, we don't each much and I'm not allowed to make desserts, my husband is trying really hard to lose weight and I dont really eat sweet things. Its funny, I love making desserts, I'm really good at it, but I dont eat sugar, I've realized I have an issue and I get crazy headaches.

I do make wonderful soups, stews and sauces. I'll be making some finger food for my daughters first birthday this weekend, will post recipes and photo's.

8. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Well this thread is an enabler thread lol I made a lemon pie. Hubby had had such a bad time recently at work I just had to cheer him up! Now I'm trying to think of a good meal to serve for dinner that compliments lemon pie. Any ideas?

9. new2pheasants

May 15, 2012
    Cloverdale, BC

Last time I made a lemon pie I had it with a nice roast and roasted garlic mash potatoes, any time I know my husband needs a chear up meal it's a roast, meaty stew or chilli. Meat, men love meat or at least thats how it works for all the men I know.

Plus then you get roast beef sandwiches to take to work.

And yes enabler thread, which I need right now, my husband will eat anything so I get lazy and uncreative which I hate. Plus I'm pregnant again and it really does something to my cooking sense, I just feel lost and need direction.

10. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Great suggestions! I'm preggers too hens all the baking and cooking. I keep craving things and now that we moved into the country I can't just run to the grocery store for what I am craving lol. Plus I love to play around in my new kitchen!
    The pie turned out better than I had hoped! First time using this pie pan.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by