Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Very nice and looks yummy.

I didn't realize computer pics were mirror image, but I never do the selfie thing….will have to try it..LOL.

2. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I tried that once...someone wanted to see how something they had sent me fit. It was the scariest image ever! [​IMG]

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Ron, I could hardly wait to get on here this morning to tell you how AWESOME the yeast pancakes are! I made them for breakfast this morning with some of our fresh blueberries and OMG, the hubster couldn't stop talking (while gobbling them up) about how good they were. I made a 1/2 batch which made 10 pancakes about 5" in diameter and he ate all but the 2 I had. They were quick and easy to mix up and were the lightest, fluffiest pancakes we've ever had. I'll never buy Bisquick again.

What a nice way to start the day. Thank you so much for sharing that recipe, it's definitely a keeper!

(Plus it gave me the perfect excuse to use our new griddle [​IMG])

5. MegsFlock3

MegsFlock3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2014
    I love baking! Here is a great whole wheat bread recipe:

INGREDIENTS
    • 6 to 6-1/2 c. whole wheat flour (ww regular, ww bread, or white whole wheat all work great)
    • 2-1/2 c. warm water (between 105-110 degrees)
    • 1-1/2 TB instant active dry yeast (not rapid rise) - regular active dry yeast can be used as well
    • ⅓ c. honey
    • ⅓ c. oil
    • 2-1/2 tsp. salt
    • (1-1/2 TB. vital wheat gluten- OPTIONAL

DIRECTIONS
    1. Combine water, yeast and 2 cups of the flour in a mixing bowl. Set aside to sponge for 15-20 minutes, until risen and bubbly (warmer weather takes 15 min, cooler temps usually needs 20).
    2. Add honey, oil, salt, (gluten, if using), and 4 cups of flour. Mix until dough starts to clean sides of bowl. Change to dough hook (or turn out to knead by hand), and knead 6 to 7 minutes (10 by hand). Add only a few tablespoons of flour at a time if dough sticks to sides, being careful not to add too much.
    3. Form into two loaves and place in greased 9x5" pans. Allow to rise in a warm place for about 60 minutes, or 15-30 min. longer if needed to reach ½ to 1-inch above pans (i.e., cold kitchens may need the longer time). Preheat oven to 350 degrees ten minutes before rising time is done.
    4. Bake for 30 minutes, rotating halfway through if needed.
    5. Immediately remove from pans to cool on a rack. Allow to completely cool before slicing.

6. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    I really like that recipe. I expect my youngest to ask me to make some tomorrow again. She wants them nearly every Sunday it seems.

You can make the regular batch and freeze the extras. They make a great quick breakfast during the week.

I have not had a pancake mix in the house for years.

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi @MegsFlock3 , nice to have you join us on the baking thread! Thanks for sharing the bread recipe. If you have any others you'd like to share, feel free (and pictures of what you make, love pictures).

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Question: My son picked black berries last year and I froze them, now to use them I know i need to drain them as they thaw[learned from my last cobbler] so should I leave them out on the counter to drain or refrigerate? I had no idea they would produce so much liquid after being frozen.

9. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    I never drain them - I use them in the frozen state. Hopefully, you froze them on a cookie sheet so they are all loose berries, otherwise I guess you would have to thaw them to use them. Cobbler should be similar to pie so here is my recipe for blackberry pie. Recipe works for fresh berries as well.

In a small bowl, mix together:
    1 cup sugar (I actually use about 3/4 cup, but that is a slightly tart pie filling)
    1/3 cup flour
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Pour the flour mix over 4 cups of berries and stir to coat. Pour into pie crust, distributing the excess flour evenly through the berries. Top berries with 2 tablespoons of butter, cut into pieces. Put on top crust and seal edges. Make sure the top crust has slits on the top.

As the pie bakes, the berries thaw and the flour thickens the juices.

My husbands favorite pie - probably one of the reasons he married me. hum, let me think ... no, he never got blackberry pie until after we were married. Must have been the brandy slush and german potato salad after all...

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I guess where you thaw them depends on soon you want to use them. I prefer to thaw everything in the refrigerator but if pressed for time, I'll thaw on the counter.

Are you making cobbler again? That sounds tasty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by