Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

That recipe sounds so good. and thanks for reply, no we put them in 2 gallon freezer bags and laid them on their sides to freeze. I really don't have a way to put a large cookie sheet in my freezer. So I guess that is where we messed up. I'll try your recipe and see if this works.

2. Miss Lydia

My son keeps after me to use those berries, he will be picking more this year. But I tell ya I had to pull the cobbler out the last time and use the spoon to get all that excess liquid out. Not fun. This is Kentucky cobbler made in NC. [​IMG] so easy to make.

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    I would just put the block of berries in a colander on the countertop, to drain as they thaw. It may work if you mix the dry ingredients into the juices, then gently stir the berries back in.
    I have done similar to that with frozen blueberries to make a blueberry sauce for putting on pancakes or angel food cake. For that I just put it in a saucepan and cook on the stovetop. Adding the berries when the sauce is thickened, otherwise the berries crumble and loose their shape.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  4. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I thought cobbler was cobbler...is there a regional difference?

5. cheepteach

cheepteach Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    I am not sure, but I think cobblers, crumbles, and crisps are used for some of the same things--my apple crisp is really the same as my cousin's apple cobbler in OK---baked fruit with topping-flour, brown sugar,butter, sometimes oats

6. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi @cheepteach , what you describe is a crisp to me. I always thought of a cobbler as having more of a pastry crust.

Are you on summer break now?

7. Miss Lydia

I think so too, just somebody named this particular one Kentucky cobble [​IMG]

8. cheepteach

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    Hey NorthFLChick--we aren't done until June 25---countdown has already begun!
    do you mean a bottom pastry crust or top crust? So the cobbler has pastry on top, and crisp has crumbs and oats? Doesn't matter--I'd eat any and all of it! with vanilla ice cream...

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yep, a cobbler is topped with pastry (or "biscuit top) while a crisp/crumble is topped with a streusel topping.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  10. cheepteach

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    I made a rhubarb-strawberry upside down cake that my son made me make another for him to take to work--I'd like to make some of this rhubarb into a cobbler but don't want it too sweet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by