Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Zeil

Zeil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2015
    Brisbane QLD

I don't know about then but we eat the whole thing nowadays. It's cheap as and very tasty. It's available in the supermarket, although I'm on good terms with a pair of brothers who run a butchery whom also hunt so I get kangaroo, rabbit and goat from them.

2. kosan

kosan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2014
    Hey there,, yes I love sourdough to, I have been feeding the same sourdough starter for 4 or five years now, making all kinds of breads,pancakes and cinnamon buns HAPPY BAKIN TO YA'LL

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Yes! Welcome to the thread.

Off to start a sponge....

4. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Buffalo and bison...the names get interchanged but American Buffalo is a type of bison (at least that's what I was taught).

Here you go @Miss Lydia a duck picture from the Jax Zoo:
    [​IMG]

They had a lot of different types of ducks. The blue billed ones were really pretty but too shy to get close enough for a photo.

And because people associate FL and flamingos...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Very pretty NFC. Thanks for sharing.

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks. Guess it is like deer, except more tender.

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hi @kosan , Congrats on keeping your starter so long.

Mine is only 1.5 years old and I keep a note on a "chicken blackboard" to remind me to feed it :) It will be 2 yo in December.

I wonder what the record is among the Any Bakers posters on how long you have kept a starter going?

8. Zeil

Jun 29, 2015
    Brisbane QLD

Not really, it's a different sort of tender and leaner. Deer is less substantial than beef I think, whilst kangaroo is more...

If that makes such...

Deer is less red, maybe.

9. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    Here in Wisconsin, I find that the venison is a darker, leaner meat than the industrial beef in the store, but it is a heartier meat. A lot of the flavor depends on what the deer are eating and how it was cared for after the kill. Not many people purchase venison from the store - unless you go to a specialty shop it simply is not available - so most is harvested from wild game. In WI, a deer harvested in the southern croplands will taste significantly different than the buck shot in the northwoods. Most of the venison I have had is the northern buck variety, :) Those southern deer are more corn-fed and the meat is a lot closer to beef than the acorn-fed venison of the north. And then we get into Whitetail vs. Black-tail vs. Mule Deer...

10. Zeil

Jun 29, 2015
    Brisbane QLD

See it's the opposite here the deer I have had (hunted, not farmed) whilst more lean and tender than beef has been lighter, less heavy iron taste than beef, whilst kangaroo is more. The deer I've had was almost sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by