Any Home Bakers Here?

Bison is good! but they want too much for it.  Not paying $20 per pound for ground meat.
Unfortunately, it seems like the price of beef is headed in that direction also...

When I was in high school, we had a foreign exchange student from Australia for one semester.  Really cool guy, loved his accent - especially when he talked about hunting Kangaroos.  Funny stories!   He said they mainly eat the tail - not sure if he was showing off and telling tall tales or not, but I had to believe him ... tall, blond, blue eyed ... I probably would have believed anything he told me.  Hey, I was only 15 years old at the time!  My first crush...

I don't know about then but we eat the whole thing nowadays. It's cheap as and very tasty. It's available in the supermarket, although I'm on good terms with a pair of brothers who run a butchery whom also hunt so I get kangaroo, rabbit and goat from them.

Hey there,, yes I love sourdough to, I have been feeding the same sourdough starter for 4 or five years now, making all kinds of breads,pancakes and cinnamon buns HAPPY BAKIN TO YA'LL

Hey there,, yes I love sourdough to, I have been feeding the same sourdough starter for 4 or five years now, making all kinds of breads,pancakes and cinnamon buns HAPPY BAKIN TO YA'LL

Yes! Welcome to the thread.

Off to start a sponge....

Aww please share some pics I'd love to see the zoo now. Buffalo same as Bison? I think so they sell it in the stores here. There is a farm in Western NC who raises Bison.

Buffalo and bison...the names get interchanged but American Buffalo is a type of bison (at least that's what I was taught).

Here you go @Miss Lydia a duck picture from the Jax Zoo:

They had a lot of different types of ducks. The blue billed ones were really pretty but too shy to get close enough for a photo.

And because people associate FL and flamingos...

Hi @kosan , Congrats on keeping your starter so long.

Mine is only 1.5 years old and I keep a note on a "chicken blackboard" to remind me to feed it :) It will be 2 yo in December.

I wonder what the record is among the Any Bakers posters on how long you have kept a starter going?

Here in Wisconsin, I find that the venison is a darker, leaner meat than the industrial beef in the store, but it is a heartier meat. A lot of the flavor depends on what the deer are eating and how it was cared for after the kill. Not many people purchase venison from the store - unless you go to a specialty shop it simply is not available - so most is harvested from wild game. In WI, a deer harvested in the southern croplands will taste significantly different than the buck shot in the northwoods. Most of the venison I have had is the northern buck variety, :) Those southern deer are more corn-fed and the meat is a lot closer to beef than the acorn-fed venison of the north. And then we get into Whitetail vs. Black-tail vs. Mule Deer...

Here in Wisconsin, I find that the venison is a darker, leaner meat than the industrial beef in the store, but it is a heartier meat.  A lot of the flavor depends on what the deer are eating and how it was cared for after the kill.  Not many people purchase venison from the store - unless you go to a specialty shop it simply is not available - so most is harvested from wild game.  In WI, a deer harvested in the southern croplands will taste significantly different than the buck shot in the northwoods.  Most of the venison I have had is the northern buck variety,  :)  Those southern deer are more corn-fed and the meat is a lot closer to beef than the acorn-fed venison of the north.  And then we get into Whitetail vs. Black-tail vs. Mule Deer...

See it's the opposite here the deer I have had (hunted, not farmed) whilst more lean and tender than beef has been lighter, less heavy iron taste than beef, whilst kangaroo is more. The deer I've had was almost sweet.

Back
Top Bottom