Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C just 1 more cup pls Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    They're supposed to be a bit sweeter than bells so anything you use a bell for, I would imagine you could use the pimento for. You could also pickle them or make pimento cheese. Or stuff olives, lol.
    Here's a recipe for pimento cheese if you want to try it out:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Southern-Pimento-Cheese/?mxt=t06dda

And I totally agree with you on the garden this year...TOO darn HOT!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @wyoDreamer Thanks so much for the details…promise to try the Kitchen Aide again when cooler weather arrives and can get back to baking.

3. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks, didn't really know what to expect….OMG sweeter than Bells…[​IMG] Cannot wait til ready to taste .

May just dice and place in a salad.

I have pimento and cheese recipes, thought about that but didn't think the fresh ones would be the same?

Soooo, maybe some in P & C and some just plain for taste testing. I think 3 may be enough to do both?

They look like a few days away from totally red…[​IMG] may be ready by Sunday or Monday.

My peppers all are still blooming, but no new fruiting :(

***And my Eggplants love hot weather but even those are on strike.

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

I put salt, sugar and yeast into the mixer bowl. water is heated up to 105 to 110f and poured over the mixture in the bowl. It is given a stir with a wooden spoon. I let it sit for 5 minutes or so to proof the yeast--it should get bubbly. I then add oil and any other ingredients, like malt powder, dry milk or etc. Depending on the size of the batch, up to 5 cups of flour will go in and be mixed with the wooden spoon. Flour is added until I feel the spoon start to crack--I have not broken one in years, really!

Then the dough hook goes in and flour is added by 2/3 cups until the dough forms a ball and stops sticking to the sides of the bowl. I do not time the kneading--The dough gets a look to it when it is ready. I aim for a bit sticky too since it makes the crust a bit more crunchy.

5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks for additional info.

But be sure to keep your fingers out of there. When my mom first got her Kitchen aid mixer, she was used to her old one with less power….broke a finger moving some dough around :(

6. cheepteach

cheepteach Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    I snapped a plastic spatula handle! they really are powerful but I love mine!

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

The wooden spoon is for stirring outside of the mixer. I do not stick my hand it there when it is running.

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That all reminds me of that old joke...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    @NorthFLChick [​IMG] I once used a sieve to make consmme and push and rubbed through the sieve so much I put a hole in !!! after al that hard work had to ditch the soup... another classic of mine was I put two egg to hard boil in a pan of water for a pic nic. Went on the pic nic and forgot the egg - when I came home there were no eggs in the pan -looked everywhere and my son was 8 at the time and said look mummy eggsies on the ceiling and they were - hermetically sealed to the ceiling took me ages to get them off - very weird[​IMG]

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Ah, adventures in cooking! Good times, good times. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by