Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Would you mind sharing the garlic parmesan knots recipe (or a link to it)? I've tried various recipes for them but can't find just the "right" one.

(And thanks for coming out of lurker mode, lol!)

2. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hope things cool off for you!
    Yeah, this is a bad one to read when you're hungry (or trying to drop a few pounds). [​IMG]

Thanks for the recipe Ron...I think both versions (caramel or cinnamon) sound great!

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @thekuligs I love cinnamon rolls but have never done refrigerator ones ---- have always just made to bake the same day. Do you get them all ready except place in the fridge instead of letting them go thru the last rise and pull out of fridge to warm and rise before baking?

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Yes!

The over night time allows enzymes to work on the dough--it converts starch to sugar and makes the flavor pop.

5. cheepteach

cheepteach Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    ronott1 is right. In college I worked at a bakery and all the sweet rolls, Danish and doughnut doughs were prepared and let sit overnight. When the opening crew arrived at 5, they took dough trays out of walkin fridge to get room temp, rise and then got baked.

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Doughnuts...did someone say doughnuts? [​IMG]

@cheepteach did you like working in the bakery?

7. cheepteach

cheepteach Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    yes I loved it! I worked the front counter, but we had to icing all the Danish, ice the black and white cookies, and fill and coat the doughnuts. I learned how to use a pastry bag and other stuff---but the best was the warm bread and rolls!

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Cool! I worked in the bakery department of a grocery store long time ago, but all the stuff was delivered to us. The only thing I had to learn was how to figure up the cost of things like 7 doughnuts that were priced by the dozen...this was all pre-computer/pre-calculator so can't say I learned any baking skills but it did improve my math skills!

9. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    My sister had a summer job working at a artisan bakery one summer and learned to kneed 2 loaves of bread at a time - one with each hand. She got some pretty big arm muscles that summer. I cheat and use the Kitchen Aid mixer, lol.

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Now y'all have me itching to bake cinnamon rolls [​IMG]

I can be kinda dense at times, and do cheat using the bread machine thru the first rise.

So, I would get the dough mixed and first rise in tha machine, take it out, punch it down, roll out, add all that wonderful stuff, roll it up…slice and place those on a cookie sheet or plate, cover with plastic wrap in fridge…next day set it out to warm and rise….and then bake?

Anyone got an orange icing recipe for cinnamon rolls, those are my favorites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by