Any Home Bakers Here?

Ever made your own dried bread crumbs?

Yesterday was making another Eggplant Parmesan and didn't have enough bread crumbs. Too late to go to buy them. So googled and found several "recipes". I made them from wheat bread.

Will be freezing my left over stale breads for the future instead of throwing them in the compost.

Would be nice to make ahead, but could only find reports that soft bread crumbs could be frozen, but not the dried ones. Any idea on how to store and shelf life of homemade dried ones?

Likely y'all experienced bakers already have done this but for those who have not, this is what I did:

Cut bread in 1/2-1 inch pieces, placed in one layer on a baking sheet pan, baked at 250 degrees - turned and checked ever 10 minutes - took 30 min in my oven to completely dry. Let cool 5-10 minutes, placed in ziplock bag and used rolling pin to pulverize them.

All I had was fresh wheat bread and I think stale would take less time to dry in oven.

I've made bread crumbs from my homemade bread that's gone stale. That doesn't happen a lot because DH eats most all the bread and what he doesn't the girls get as a rare treat. But when I've done it, I like to brush the bread lightly with a little olive oil, sprinkle seasoning on it (like Italian or whatever fits the dish we're making), cube it and bake until crispy. We've never had any leftover to store, so not sure about that part.

If using fresh bread, I like to toast it a bit to make it easier to work with and faster drying in the oven.

@NorthFLChick GA Elberta peaches are available
wee.gif
Hoping to get some today.

Unfortunately the major packing companies don't grow these anymore so no one but locals can get them and there's only one farm I know of that still has the originals.

I'll keep my eye out for a roadside stand! I've been checking at the grocery store and their peaches have come from CA...I'd much prefer the wonderful GA ones. Thanks for the heads up!

Tried a new pull apart bread recipe today. DH and I both really liked it. It's Golden Cheese Bread from King Arthur's website. Here's the recipe link, and below I've noted the changes I made to it.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/golden-cheese-bread-recipe

* Instead of the 2 flours in the recipe, I just used all purpose flour (had to add a bit more, the dough was pretty sticky)
* Didn't have any of their Vermont Cheese Powder, so skipped it
* For their Pizza Dough Flavor, I used an Italian Seasoning blend we have
* Instead of onion powder, I used garlic powder
* For the cheese, I used about 2 1/4 cups of Mozzarella

This one could be really versatile. I'll make it with cheddar and some other seasoning next time.

I still need to read this whole thread... but can I just say, chicken people must be my people! It's like every hobby here is one of mine, and baking is a BIG part of my life. I remember being less than ten and being patiently taught by my Mawmaw how to make bread. Aww, warm fuzzy thoughts. I used to decorate cakes for extra cash back when I had less than or equal to two kids, now my time is too divided, but I do enjoy it still for fun!

Hi @thekuligs ! If you try any of the recipes on this thread, let us know how they turn out for you. And if you have any to share, that's even better!

Tried a new pull apart bread recipe today. DH and I both really liked it. It's Golden Cheese Bread from King Arthur's website. Here's the recipe link, and below I've noted the changes I made to it.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/golden-cheese-bread-recipe

* Instead of the 2 flours in the recipe, I just used all purpose flour (had to add a bit more, the dough was pretty sticky)
* Didn't have any of their Vermont Cheese Powder, so skipped it
* For their Pizza Dough Flavor, I used an Italian Seasoning blend we have
* Instead of onion powder, I used garlic powder
* For the cheese, I used about 2 1/4 cups of Mozzarella

This one could be really versatile. I'll make it with cheddar and some other seasoning next time.

droolin.gif
OMG that looks wonderful.. thanks for sharing.

I still need to read this whole thread... but can I just say, chicken people must be my people! It's like every hobby here is one of mine, and baking is a BIG part of my life. I remember being less than ten and being patiently taught by my Mawmaw how to make bread. Aww, warm fuzzy thoughts. I used to decorate cakes for extra cash back when I had less than or equal to two kids, now my time is too divided, but I do enjoy it still for fun!
welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us. Checked your other posts, and looks like you may have not posted under new members forum to get a proper welcoming.

So you're expecting # 6, congrats and hope all goes well.

This is one of my favorite threads, lots of posts to catch up on, Would love to see and hear what you are baking now.

note to self: DON'T read this thread when hungry! It was sooo hot all day--too hot to eat, but now I need some bread! thanks---it really looks great

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us. Checked your other posts, and looks like you may have not posted under new members forum to get a proper welcoming.

So you're expecting # 6, congrats and hope all goes well.

This is one of my favorite threads, lots of posts to catch up on, Would love to see and hear what you are baking now.
LOL You know why? I stalked for so long before posting I didn't feel new!

Tonight I am starting refrigerator cinnamon rolls for breakfast tomorrow and garlic parmesan knots to go with dinner. ;)

LOL You know why? I stalked for so long before posting I didn't feel new!

Tonight I am starting refrigerator cinnamon rolls for breakfast tomorrow and garlic parmesan knots to go with dinner. ;)
Yes, Welcome and it is great having you here!

I started making a 6 loaf or so batch of bread a week when I was 12. We usually ate the first loaf out of the oven.

Last night my youngest Daughter asked me to make peanut butter cookies. They were great!

I might make overnight rolls this weekend. I have all the stuff for them--they are a converted caramel roll recipe.

Back
Top Bottom