Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Your post hit while I was typing…..using a KA mixer is not cheating….bread machine mixing and rising really is [​IMG]

How in the world could someone kneed 2 at a time? Kinda like the old jokes about patting your belly and making hand circles above your head :)

2. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's how I would do it (and it's not cheating to use your bread machine).

I've never made orange icing so can't vouch for a recipe. Anyone else have one?

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    The instructions are:

As Overnight Rolls:

After rolls are In pan, cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight or up to 16 hours.

Remove the rolls from the refrigerator and place in an oven that is turned off. Fill a shallow pan 2/3-full of boiling water and set on the rack below the rolls. Close the oven door and let the rolls rise until they look slightly puffy; approximately 30 minutes. Remove the rolls and the shallow pan of water from the oven.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

When the oven is ready, place the rolls on the middle rack and bake until golden brown, or until the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, approximately 30 minutes.

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @NorthFLChick do you cheat with bread machines too?[​IMG] I thought I was the only one!

@ronott1 thanks, gotta try this.

Gonna explore orange icings.

5. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    LOL, nope, don't have a bread machine @sunflour . But I don't think it's cheating to use one, you still have to experiment to find a good recipe, accurately measure/weigh the ingredients, etc. and then you do the balance of the work after it rises in your machine.

DH thinks I'm the bread machine around here [​IMG]

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Yep, not bread machine here either.

I do use a kitchenaid for kneading except for the large batch of rolls I make at Thanksgiving. It is too large a batch for the mixer.

7. cheepteach

cheepteach Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    NY
    the bakery icings are only powdered sugar and water, dash of lemon juice or vanilla
    you can substitute pulp free orange juice for the water and mix to the consistency you like-skip the vanilla (we used cherry juice to make cherry icing for cherry Danish or turnovers

bread machines are great timesavers when doing a lot of baking

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Never used water, my recipe uses a splash of milk…but wonder if the water would be close to the Krispy Creme donut glaze? Thanks for OJ tip - and maybe some orange peel zest too.

I never do "a lot of baking" one thing at a time, but love watching that machine do the mixing and rise. Have had my Hitachi for decades and still runs like new.

@NorthFLChick I thought I remembered from many posts back you didn't have a machine, I'm jealous of all of you who can do it by hand mixing - I need to get my weights out to tone up and maybe I could try it one day [​IMG].

@ronott1 I did try using my KA once to mix bread last winter and what a mess. There is an art to using it that I didn't have the patience to learn.

9. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Off subject? It's been an off year for veggie gardens in GA, just too, too hot.

But I have 3 Pimento Peppers that are turning red. Have never grown these and would really appreciate any ideas on how to use them [​IMG]

10. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    This is my secret to using a Kitchen Aide for kneading bread: I start with only 2 cups of flour in with the rest of the ingredients, and stir that for 5 minutes with the blade. It should be really wet and sticky. That builds a lot of gluten, you can see the stretch of the bread dough. Then I switch to the dough hook.
    I turn off the machine when I add the additional flour - 1 cup at a time. BUT I stand there with a squirt bottle and mist water into the bowl as it mixes the dry flour in, that keeps down the dust somewhat. If there is dry flour on the side of the bowl, I squirt it and it will incorporate into the dough ball. It doesn't add much liquid - I measured and 4 squirts from my bottle is 1 teaspoon of water (Yes, I am a GEEK!) Once all the flour is mixed in, knead it for a minimum of 8 minutes once the flour amount is correct.

I used to make my bread dough pretty dry and not sticky, but have found that a looser, wet dough actually makes a better bread. I now make it so it just sticks tom y hands when I loaf it. It ends up lighter and with a crispier crust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by