Any Home Bakers Here?

Like warm boiled eggs with butter and salt but thats the only way i eat them warm.
Thanks for info, I have never tried them with butter, just peel, sprinkle with s S&P and eat them. Will have to try them your way :)

I made my own starter years ago but didn't take care of it properly and it expired , have done much better in caring for the one I bought from KA flour - and love their crock to store it in. I keep mine in fridge, take it out and feed it every 1-2 weeks. You don't have to let it warm up to feed, just take it out of fridge, stir, discard and feed and immediately replace in fridge. Easy if you remember the feedings.

Make sure you use something without a tight fitting lid, Even a jar with the lid loose works. It's inexpensive to make your own, NFC gave you KA's link to learn about how to make it, they have great articles on the care and feeding…..And recovery of an overdue feeding (just in case you forget it for awhile).

Storing on the counter is best for those who use it often, but fridge is best for those of us who don't use it but a few times a year.

If you do waffles, check out the KA sourdough instructions for using the discard to make wonderful sourdough waffles, they are awesome.

Look what you guys made me do!!! :p

I didn't make it to town for the biscuit mix for the fried pies, so I was bummed about that... But I had apples :D

And evidently peaches...

And I decided on a brown sugar apple pie. Made too much crust so I made a peach pie too.... Then I had too many apples for just a pie, so I made apple crisp. Annnnd too much filling for just one peach pie, so I mad peach cobbler too lol ;)

I'm going to get sooooo fat :D

Now I just need the ice cream.. I still need to go to town for that stuff lol :p

I posted the recipes for the peach pie and cobbler.. I think.(may have been the canning thread lol) But here's the apple crisp and brown sugar apple pie:

Apple Crisp

4-5 good sized apples, peeled and sliced
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour

Cream butter and sugar, add flour and mix.

Pour over top of sliced apples in an 8x8 pan

Cook at 375 for 45-55 minutes

EASY ;)

Brown sugar apple pie:

Crust
3 c flour
1/2 c crisco
1 egg
1 tbsp vinegar
9 tbsp water
Pinch of salt

Pie:

2/3 c brown sugar
3 tbsp flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
7 c granny smith apples, peeled and sliced ( I use all sorts of apples, but grannies are preferred)
1tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp sugar

Mix sugar, flour and spices. Add lemon juice to sliced apples and toss gently in the sugar mixture. Fill crust, piling apples in center and cover with top crust. Brush cream on top and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 425 with rack in lowest position (this is for convection ovens). Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 and bake for another 20-25 minutes.

Now I need the ice cream! :)

Last edited:
Lol i posted an icecream recipe if that helps. And yeah sunflour you cut the egg in half and put the butter in the middle and let it melt the salt it, i grew up gaving that for breakfast on the way to the bus stop along with cinnomen toast (take some bread put two slices of butter on two corners sprinkle sugar and cinnomen but in oven on boil and take out when toasted) that could be another reason i like it so much. Oh so you only have to feed it once a week after its established. I was worried you had to feed it every day, and a loose fitting jar mmm ok good to know i suppose it needs air.

@shortgrass I think I gained 5 pounds just seeing what all you made! Everything looks great.

@shortgrass I think I gained 5 pounds just seeing what all you made! Everything looks great.
X2 Bet the kitchen smells awesome after all that baking.

@Jesusfreak101 , I used to make cinnamon toast kinda like that when I was growing up. But used to place pats of butter on the bread, mounds of sugar on top and loads of cinnamon and broil. A quick sweet snack - but the topping would have fallen off trying to eat it on the way to the school bus :)

Sourdough makes bubbles - if you leave it at room temp with airtight lid it will lift the lid off. In the fridge, you get some bubbles but not so much. Actually in fridge you can feed it every 2 -3 weeks and keep it active. To feed it you just throw some out, give the discard to a friend, or feed it to bake something. And stir in some flour and water and set back in fridge. Not a lot of trouble, just not to let it go too long between feedings.

X2 Bet the kitchen smells awesome after all that baking.

@Jesusfreak101 , I used to make cinnamon toast kinda like that when I was growing up. But used to place pats of butter on the bread, mounds of sugar on top and loads of cinnamon and broil. A quick sweet snack - but the topping would have fallen off trying to eat it on the way to the school bus :)

Sourdough makes bubbles - if you leave it at room temp with airtight lid it will lift the lid off. In the fridge, you get some bubbles but not so much. Actually in fridge you can feed it every 2 -3 weeks and keep it active. To feed it you just throw some out, give the discard to a friend, or feed it to bake something. And stir in some flour and water and set back in fridge. Not a lot of trouble, just not to let it go too long between feedings.
Use a jar with a lid like this--allows the air to escape but stays sealed:

bormioli-rocco-fido-25.25oz-sky-blue-149280m04321588-compressed_1.jpg

Use a jar with a lid like this--allows the air to escape but stays sealed:

bormioli-rocco-fido-25.25oz-sky-blue-149280m04321588-compressed_1.jpg

I wish I would have seen this earlier! We have a ton of those jars left over from our tea shop but I thought maybe the lid would be too tight for the starter. Next time I'll know better.

I took the first step today to get one going but I'm not sure it looks right. The directions said 1 Cup of rye or wheat flour to 1/2 cup cool water & mix well. Did that (even weighed the flour) but it looks like thick paste. I expected something more liquid. Did I mess up?

I wish I would have seen this earlier! We have a ton of those jars left over from our tea shop but I thought maybe the lid would be too tight for the starter. Next time I'll know better.

I took the first step today to get one going but I'm not sure it looks right. The directions said 1 Cup of rye or wheat flour to 1/2 cup cool water & mix well. Did that (even weighed the flour) but it looks like thick paste. I expected something more liquid. Did I mess up?
The starter that I started back in the 1980s used plain yogurt. The information back then was that other dairy products were too pasteurized to have the correct enzyme or bacteria needed for sourdough.

Sourdough comes from a certain type of wild yeast that can live with the bacillus from the milk. The bacillus kills the types of wild yeast that will not make the dough sour.

Look for instructions that use either unpasteurized milk or plain yogurt.

Just as a note, a freshly made starter will not usually punch up dough well enough to use without bakers yeast for about 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom