Any Home Bakers Here?

ronott1

A chicken will always remember the egg
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
Ok Super! :) I would like to know if I can make a Sourdough bread from the by-product that I have left over from the whole grains that I mill to ferment for feed for our Poultry?

I don't like to ferment whole grains so I run them through a cheap hand mill grinder to just crack the whole grain kernels, by doing this I generate a small amount of fine flour that I can not use. If I mix all fine flour from the multiple grains into my ferment, the majority of the sour milky juice runs down the drain when I press most the liquid from the fermented grain.

My thought is this, since I have the sour fermented juice from the naturel yeast from the different grains already active, could I mix this with the fine flour to make a sourdough bread ball that can be baked?
It should work fine-- you do need 50% Wheat flour to make enough gluten for the bread to rise

Verna Y

Crazy as ever and blessed.
Premium Feather Member
Sep 21, 2020
Franklin, Ohio
I was going to try making a pie out of carrots . Thinking about using carrots and baking like you would a pumpkin pie then add real meringue . Any thoughts on this ?
come to think of it, that would be a great way to get your veggies in. LOL. Give it a try, and let me know how it turns out.

Swiss

Songster
Jun 9, 2020
SW Michigan
I just bought 2 giant aluminum cookie sheets (14"x21"), so I can bake 8 loaves or two batches of rolls at a time! That will be very helpful in stocking up the freezer. In fact, I baked 3 loaves on one yesterday, and was extremely happy that they all came out at the same time, and looked the same. I also used a (washed and sanitized) box cutter blade to score them, and can't believe it took me so long to think to try it!:idunno

R2elk

Magical, perfect creature
Premium Feather Member
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
My Coop
I was going to try making a pie out of carrots . Thinking about using carrots and baking like you would a pumpkin pie then add real meringue . Any thoughts on this ?
You should try some of the purple carrots. I ruined chicken soup by using one of my purple carrots instead of orange ones. The purple one was too sweet. Chicken soup is not good if it is sweet.

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
Dec 12, 2013
Wyoming
That would be a fun experiment. I'd bake the carrots until they are soft, then cool and mash. Then add some spices, salt & pepper. Mix it all up and put it in a pie shell. Bake.

If you do it, let us know how it works for you!

bruceha2000

Enabler
Apr 19, 2012
NW Vermont
Unbelievable thrift store find.
How did that even get out of the mint?

I've never tasted pumpkin pie but imagine squash would be very similar
In fact almost all canned "pumpkin" in the USA is squash, not pumpkin. I think pretty much it is the "pumpkin pie spices" that give pumpkin pie the distinctive flavor.

jnicholes

Crowing
Feb 16, 2017
How did that even get out of the mint?

In fact almost all canned "pumpkin" in the USA is squash, not pumpkin. I think pretty much it is the "pumpkin pie spices" that give pumpkin pie the distinctive flavor.
I have no idea how it got out of the mint.

On the subject of pumpkin pie, I can testify that there is a big difference when you use canned pumpkin and fresh whole pumpkin. I’ve made both, and the fresh whole pumpkin is definitely better. It takes a little longer to make, granted, but it’s well worth it.

Top Bottom