Any Home Bakers Here?

Thanks.   Dumb question, what is "Golden Syrup"?

Golden syrup could also be called light treacle. I did find a reply on google from a U.S. Person saying they have bought in their local grocery store in the baking section or sometimes in the international English section.

I have substituted honey in Anzac biscuits before when I was out. its a slightly different flavour than maple syrup and thick like honey (thus the warming part so it's thin enough to mix through) but we use it instead on pancakes at the kids school as it wasn't as runny/messy and the kids never noticed. So something sticky like honey but mild enough you can lick the spoon ;-)

Never having tasted molasses or corn syrup so can't speak for them I'd use maple syrup but make sure to refrigerate the dough for a bit before rolling out to help with the fact it's a bit thinner. I don't think it would affect the taste too much but you may get a softer dough.

Last edited:
Dark corn syrup will work.

Golden syrup is made from either cane sugar or sugar beets so it would be the same thing if it was golden in color.

Do you have a golden colored cane syrup?

Yes, I always have cane syrup on hand ( I'm in GA).
wink.png

We found a gingerbread house kit at CVS pharmacy of all places!

Putting it together...

Front

Roof.

Happy boy!

Two seconds after it was finished
1f602.png

*edited to add, the little glob of frosting by the door with two blue candies and one purple candy was my sons duck nest
1f602.png

Last edited:
I think they still have the kits at Walmart :gig But make sure to wear your flip flops if you go.

Seriously, graham crackers would be perfect for a chicken coop.  I thought about just doing those, but really love to use my GB house iron mold.
So, get those crackers out and start construction...:ya

1f602.png
, glad I didn't have to pull out my flip flops and head to Walmart!
I have seen the gingerbread irons and cookie cutters that cut the shapes you need! So cool! Can't wait to see your house!

Last edited:
Good job Alice & son! He looks like he had a great time!

@sunflour hurry up and show us your gb coop! I can hardly wait to see what you've done! DH was laughing at me this morning because I was telling him the way I want to fix up one next year
lol.png

In case no one knows...sunflour came up with the idea for this contest. I'd say it was a good one worth repeating!

Good job Alice & son! He looks like he had a great time!

@sunflour hurry up and show us your gb coop! I can hardly wait to see what you've done! DH was laughing at me this morning because I was telling him the way I want to fix up one next year
lol.png

In case no one knows...sunflour came up with the idea for this contest. I'd say it was a good one worth repeating!

Still working on it - had to order a couple of things not available locally…so likely won't be able to finish mine til next weekend. ( hint: it has to do with chicken wire and Christmas lights).
But so, so thankful it doesn't all have to be edible…Some of my gum paste things fell apart and had to get the glue gun out today.
gig.gif

I am getting more and more impressed with those really professional ones that win the really big contests.
woot.gif

Betcha they cheat and use a glue gun?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
1f602.png
, glad I didn't have to pull out my flip flops and head to Walmart!
I have seen the gingerbread irons and cookie cutters that cut the shapes you need! So cool! Can't wait to see your house!
Here's a pic from this thread last year: post #14470397

I found a vintage GB house cast iron mold. IMO so much easier than rolling and cutting out the dough, but stuck with only 2 choices in houses.

Here's a pic from this thread last year:  post #14470397

I found a vintage GB house cast iron mold.  IMO so much easier than rolling and cutting out the dough, but stuck with only 2 choices in houses.

Oh now I remember! I even commented on that post last year
1f602.png
1f61c.png
! I asked where you got it and you told me off etsy! Yes, I'm sure way easier then cutting it all by hand and hoping it fits together right! I just cheated and bought the kit! It was worth the $3, but that would be fun to actually do it from scratch!

Back
Top Bottom