Any Home Bakers Here?

Cheese straws? I'm out for the day and come back and you all are talking about cheese straws. I've not only never tasted one, I've never heard of them either. Boy, do I feel out of touch.
Never heard of Cheese Straws??
hu.gif
They are usually associated with the south, but searches I have done reveal vintage recipes from all over.

There are quite a number of versions, but most doughs are thick and shaped or pressed into long straws to bake. Most commercial ones are very dry, hard and bland.

The ones I prefer - like Mom's- come out softer and are closer to spritz cookie press recipes. My first batch trial this year was from Mirro Press recipe book - if I had left out the salt, I think they would be close enough.

But actually, I am getting tired of eating all those failures-----not perfect but quite yummy.

Never heard of Cheese Straws??
hu.gif
They are usually associated with the south, but searches I have done reveal vintage recipes from all over.

There are quite a number of versions, but most doughs are thick and shaped or pressed into long straws to bake. Most commercial ones are very dry, hard and bland.

The ones I prefer - like Mom's- come out softer and are closer to spritz cookie press recipes. My first batch trial this year was from Mirro Press recipe book - if I had left out the salt, I think they would be close enough.

But actually, I am getting tired of eating all those failures-----not perfect but quite yummy.

I was raised in the Midwest (Iowa & Kansas) so maybe that has something to do with it...or maybe I just lead a very culinary-deprived/sheltered life. If you make some you are happy with, share a picture, ok?

I used to have my mom's old Mirro Press but lost it somewhere in the past couple of moves. The only thing she ever used it for (and later me) was spritz cookies.

Well... I can't sleep, so going to make @NorthFLChick cinnamon roll recipe! Better then laying in bed wide awake any longer! You all have a merry Christmas!
1f384.png
1f385.png
1f381.png
26c4.png

Back
Top Bottom