Any Home Bakers Here?

I wonder if the slower cooking brings more depth of flavor to it?
I've done sausages with tomatoes and onions in the frypan, and it isn't the same as this turned out. The veges are all soft and lovely. There's no added liquid, and yet it comes out with a bit of sauce. I do tomatoes long and slow, they are very nice for spaghetti sauce. I'd just never thought of doing sausages in slow cooker, only fried. Now I know they can come out nicely, I might do them with tomato/onion/whatever.

I've done sausages with tomatoes and onions in the frypan, and it isn't the same as this turned out. The veges are all soft and lovely. There's no added liquid, and yet it comes out with a bit of sauce. I do tomatoes long and slow, they are very nice for spaghetti sauce. I'd just never thought of doing sausages in slow cooker, only fried. Now I know they can come out nicely, I might do them with tomato/onion/whatever.

Good to know. I'll try this the next time!

The easiest and one of my favorite pies to make is a caramel pie. Just 2 cans condensed milk makes 1 pie! Boil the cans in a large pot of water for 4 hours making sure water stays over the cans the whole time or they will explode! (I use my pressure cooker but I usually make more than 1 pie at a time too) after the cans are done boiling let them stand 10 mins then pour them into the pie crust of your choice (I prefer graham) place them in the fridge to cool,top with whipped cream, a little bit of chocolate syrup and enjoy!

Sounds good! You use sweetened condensed milk or regular?

It's called "Pushcart Sausage and Peppers" from "Slow Cooker:The best cookbook ever" by Diane Phillips
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1.5 teasp salt
0.5 teasp ground black pepper
1 tblspoon light brown sugar
2 tablespoon tomato paste
Cut into half rounds
 2 medium onions
 3 medium red onions
Seeded and sliced:
 2  medium red capsicums (bell peppers)
 2 medium yellow capsicums
 2 medium orange  capsicums
3 pounds (about a kilo) sweet italian sausages

mix up the oil, seasonings, sugar, paste in the cooker insert
add capsicums and onions, stir to coat, 
Add the sausages, cook for 5 hours on high until the sausages are cooked through.  Skim off any fat. 

I only had brown onions and red capsicums, so I didn't stick exactly to the recipe.  I also didn't put in that much salt and I used different sausages from the continental deli.  The main thing was that it was very little effort, it just cooked itself and I got to use up some capsicums.  
Yummy!

I checked into a couple of web pages about doing this. Since I have a pressure cooker and some canning jars, I can make the caramel(dulce de leche) in 50 minutes under pressure.
I didnt think of closing the lid or putting the milk in jars but 50 mins over 4 hours would be great! You have to try it and let me know if it works!!!

Last edited:
Most of my family passed away in their 70's. my mom was 55 when she passed and my dad was 71. Longevity isn't in our genes.

But things can change...my mom and all siblings died between 70-80 except the eldest - my aunt is 107....would never had predicted that one.

So, there's still hope.

Back
Top Bottom