Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sorry, you are incorrect!!

Anyone who luvs chickens and baking cannot be a "dork". [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Your breakfast casserole looks good! Another use for several eggs.

I didn't get to do any baking today after all. We ended up at the phone store setting up a new account and getting new phones so that was about 2 hrs. Trip to the grocery store, the post office, Wal-Mart and the gas station, plus it's a 44 mile round trip. Whew! By the time we got home I wanted to let the girls out for a bit of free time and DH fixed up a quick dinner. Now I'm about done for the day. Maybe tomorrow will work out better for a baking day (I hope).

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    Since my bananas were so ripe, I cut back a little on the sugar because I didn't want it too sweet and it turned out good. DH reminded me that it needs to have walnuts in it. So I added that to my copy of the recipe for the next time I make it.

My range is an AGA, it came with the house; I would never spend that kind of money on a single appliance (unless I won the lottery). I really like it, but it is an old model and one of the ovens doesn't work properly. If we can't get the oven working, I think we will get rid of it and move the dual fuel range that we brought with us from Wyoming into the kitchen during our remodel. DH says we should put it in the basement in the canning kitchen he wants to make for me. I wouldn't need the oven for that use and it has 6 burners - two of which are Wok burners, so they are super hot.

I love breakfast casserole. I put sausage and bacon in mine along with onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and sometimes ham. I have been known to skip the bread and use hashbrowns instead also. Breakfast casserole is so versatile.

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @wyoDreamer , your breakfast casserole sounds good too! Another thing to add to my "gotta make" list!

That's a great idea to have your AGA in the basement for canning. Wouldn't tie up the kitchen that way while you're canning and it's probably cooler downstairs which would be nice (our kitchen turns into an oven when I can). Most people around here, including us, don't have basements but a friend of mine does her canning on her big covered porch to keep the heat out of the house.

5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Glad the banana bread worked out.

Never heard of AGA range..they look wonderful. The design reminds me of the antique metal ice box/refrigerators - I have one of those I use as a small pantry. Hope you can get that oven in AGA working. Guess I'm a packrat, but would never trash a cast iron item, lots of great uses for the AGA even if not used as a stove…..

Our basement/garage is quite large - it is the foundation for my house, but in the summer here is humid and hot. I prefer to sit in A/C while canning..lol.

Great ideas on breakfast casserole….my DH would love your suggestions. But for me, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes would turn it into supper…I luv breakfast for suppers.

6. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    AllRecipes has any recipe you could want for free!!!

7. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    My hubby has plans to put an exhaust fan down there to help get the humidity outside, it will be a finished kitchen, insulated and everything so it will be nice. The only real problem is the stairs to get down there are really bad. Both the inside and exterior stairs are really steep and narrow, the outside ones are concrete and falling apart. The inside ones have a pinch point for the bottom 1/2 and are only about 16 inches wide. Even he has trouble carrying anything larger than a shoe box down there right now.

I really don't want to heat up the house while the A/C is on and adding more humidity on a humid day stinks. I remember my mom canning garden surplus and we had all the windows open and fans going to get the hot air out, only to bring the hot air in! The back porch is too small and that is in the dog yard, the front porch is too awesome and will be a great place to relax after a long day of canning!

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Breakfast casserole has only 1 partial serving left….[​IMG]

Gonna feed my sourdough starter and get the waffle batter ready for tomorrow…..[​IMG]

9. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    So glad I read this! I started my waffle batter for tomorrow morning too!

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Is everyone but me having waffles tomorrow? [​IMG]

Looks like I'm finally going to get some time to bake today. Guess what DH wants? Cheesecake! Yep, this time a New York style cheesecake. The man is hooked on cheesecake. Might have to find a 12-step program for cheesecake-aholics for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by