1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    Here's a picture of the New York Cheesecake.
    [​IMG]

DH wants his tonight with cherrys on it...I'm watching the calories (LOL) and having mine plain.

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    Have blackberries!

That looks so good [​IMG]

3. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    Yummy! Good job!

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    Thanks, we've been enjoying it! Here's the recipe if anyone wants to try it:

New York Cheesecake
    (makes a 9" cake)

15 graham crackers, crushed
    2 Tab butter, melted
    4 (8 oz) pkgs cream cheese
    1 1/2 Cups sugar
    1/4 Cup milk
    4 eggs
    1 Cup sour cream
    1 Tab vanilla extract
    1/4 Cup all-purpose flour

* Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease spring form pan. In medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Press into bottom of pan and part way up the sides.
    * In large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in milk, then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate.
    * Mix in sour cream, vanilla, and flour until smooth. Pour filling into crust.
    * Bake in pre-heated oven 1 hour. Turn oven off and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5-6 hours to prevent cracking.
    * Chill in refrigerator until serving.

Notes: Next time I'll take @ronott1 suggestion and mix the sour cream, vanilla and flour together before adding to the filling separately. It was a bit tough to blend each ingredient separately without over mixing.
    @Alice28 suggestion to freeze some of the slices was a good one. I put several slices on a Saran wrapped baking sheet, put them in the freezer and then when frozen I wrapped each one individually and put in a freezer bag. Freezing the slices first made wrapping them a lot easier.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @NorthFLChick

The cheese cake looks great. Much better than waffles..:)

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    @sunflour , waffles sound pretty good to me! Want to swap some cheesecake for some waffles?

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    Hi bakers...I'm looking for a baked mac & cheese recipe, one with real cheese (no Velveeta) and a crumb-type topping. Anyone have a good recipe for something like that?

(Don't ask me why but my mom loaded us down with 7 one-pound blocks of cheese of various kinds when we saw her in Jan. Gotta figure out some way to use some of this.)

Thanks and hope you all are having a good day!

8. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    We use the recipe from Emeril Lagasse for his Macaroni and 4 Cheeses. It uses Cheddar, Fontina, Gruyere and Parmesan. Not really for kids, but Oh, so good!

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    We use the original recipe on the Mueller's elbows box. It is a little different than what is on the new boxes. We top with the reserved cheese, but you can top it with crumbs. It is actually better than my mom's was. To make it main dish, we add cubed ham.

Ingredients

• 8 ounces Mueller's Elbows - we weigh ours, but this is about 1 3/4 cups
    • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 2 1/2 cups milk ** newer boxes show 3 cups, but 2.5 is the original and works.
    • 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
    • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded American or Cheddar cheese, divided ( We use extra sharp Kraft, but guess any cheese would do)

Cooking Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
    2. Cook pasta 7 minutes. Drain.
    3. In medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt, dry mustard & pepper in medium saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Add margarine, stirring constantly.
    4. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 1 minute.
    5. Remove from heat. Stir in 1-3/4 cups cheese until melted. Add cooked pasta. Pour into greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
    6. Bake uncovered 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.

*** If want to add 1 cup diced ham, stir it in step 2.

1 person likes this.
  10. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Here are some of my projects from today. Cinnamon rolls and pepperoni pizza (in the works)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the welcomes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by