Any Home Bakers Here?

Hey, I learned how to can this summer too! Our peppers did so well, we now have a year's supply of salsa. With next year's garden, I hope to be able to do more, it's kind of fun.

McIntosh apples are good but my new favorite is Honey Crisp, they taste just like their name...sweet & crispy. We ate them all before I could do any baking with them.

Hey, I learned how to can this summer too! Our peppers did so well, we now have a year's supply of salsa. With next year's garden, I hope to be able to do more, it's kind of fun.

McIntosh apples are good but my new favorite is Honey Crisp, they taste just like their name...sweet & crispy. We ate them all before I could do any baking with them.
I actually can't stand honeycrisp apples....they are too sweet for me. I've always been a tart apple person, sweet apples gross me out! Lol. I have no idea why, I can eat sweets forever, but I hate sweet apples....doesn't make any sense.

I'm hoping to have a smidge of a garden next year. Hopefully we will find a house before it's too late to plant.

Does anyone have a good pumpkin soup or bisque recipe? I have tried a few and have been disappointed. Have had it before at a restaurant and loved it.

Does anyone have a good pumpkin soup or bisque recipe? I have tried a few and have been disappointed. Have had it before at a restaurant and loved it.

I have one, made it the first time a couple days ago and it was very good. I'll have to dig the recipe out and type it out here (may be tomorrow before that happens tho).

it's a sad sad day. my oven dead :-( I can't believe that it is 2 years old and boom dead. nothing worse then going to make dinner and no heat.
had to order a new part hopefully that fixes it, but have to wait to friday I even rushed the delivery. with the holidays so close i guess it could be worse.
can't wait to get my apron strings tied again.
a very sad
Jenn

it's a sad sad day. my oven dead :-( I can't believe that it is 2 years old and boom dead. nothing worse then going to make dinner and no heat.
had to order a new part hopefully that fixes it, but have to wait to friday I even rushed the delivery. with the holidays so close i guess it could be worse.
can't wait to get my apron strings tied again.
a very sad
Jenn

Hey Jenn,
I was wondering about you, glad to hear from you even if it is with a dead oven. That's crazy, a 2 yr old oven going out! Hope you're getting a really dependable one you like even better.

Hi sunflour,

This is the recipe I made soup from,, we really liked it.

Roasted Squash Soup
1 Tab olive oil
1 Squash, halved & seeded (you can use any squash...pumpkin, butternut, acorn...we used calabaza)
Salt & Pepper
1 tsp butter
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 C carrot, shredded
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp celery seed
2 pinches cayenne pepper
2-4 C chicken stock
1/4 C cream
2 oz cream cheese

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking dish with foil.
Rub olive oil on cut side of squash & sprinkle with salt & pepper.
Lay squash cut side down on baking dish & bake until tender, about 1 hour.
Scoop out flesh into bowl & mash. Set aside.
Melt butter in large pot. Melt butter in pot, add onion & garlic and cook until tender.
Add carrots to pot & cook until tender.
Stir in mashed squash, marjoram, celery seed, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper. Cook until heated through, about 5-10 minutes.
Stir in chicken stock & bring to boil.
Gradually add cream & cream cheese, stir until incorporated.
Bring to a simmer & cook 30 minutes.

Notes: This recipe didn't have a weight for the squash so I used what we had which was about a 7 pound calabaza. I used a hand blender to make the soup extra creamy. Didn't use the cream, thought it was fine without it. We liked it thick but if you want a thinner soup use all 4 cups of stock (I used about 3 cups)..

Hi sunflour,

This is the recipe I made soup from,, we really liked it.

Roasted Squash Soup
1 Tab olive oil
1 Squash, halved & seeded (you can use any squash...pumpkin, butternut, acorn...we used calabaza)
Salt & Pepper
1 tsp butter
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 C carrot, shredded
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp celery seed
2 pinches cayenne pepper
2-4 C chicken stock
1/4 C cream
2 oz cream cheese

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking dish with foil.
Rub olive oil on cut side of squash & sprinkle with salt & pepper.
Lay squash cut side down on baking dish & bake until tender, about 1 hour.
Scoop out flesh into bowl & mash. Set aside.
Melt butter in large pot. Melt butter in pot, add onion & garlic and cook until tender.
Add carrots to pot & cook until tender.
Stir in mashed squash, marjoram, celery seed, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper. Cook until heated through, about 5-10 minutes.
Stir in chicken stock & bring to boil.
Gradually add cream & cream cheese, stir until incorporated.
Bring to a simmer & cook 30 minutes.

Notes: This recipe didn't have a weight for the squash so I used what we had which was about a 7 pound calabaza. I used a hand blender to make the soup extra creamy. Didn't use the cream, thought it was fine without it. We liked it thick but if you want a thinner soup use all 4 cups of stock (I used about 3 cups)..
Thank you.

Waffles anyone?

Fed my sourdough starter today, and have the "discard" incubating with flour, sugar, buttermilk. Gonna make sourdough waffles tomorrow am. No calories held back!
big_smile.png

If you do sourdough and love waffles or pancakes, check out KA's recipe. It is fantastic. And a great way to use instead of discard your starter.

Back
Top Bottom