Any Home Bakers Here?

I was thinking of making a pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving but don't have a springform pan any longer. What would you all suggest as a good substitution to bake cheesecake in?

Jenn, how's that new oven working for you?

Hope everyone is having a good morning!

You should look on Pinterest or online for pumpkin cheesecake bars! You don't need a springform pan for that. My mom use to make a cheesecake bar that was amazing.

I was thinking of making a pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving but don't have a springform pan any longer. What would you all suggest as a good substitution to bake cheesecake in?

Jenn, how's that new oven working for you?

Hope everyone is having a good morning!

I have a recipe that makes individual cheesecakes in muffin tins, like a cupcake, so they are serving sized. So maybe try that. Use paper wrappers in the pans, put the crust in the bottom of the papers and then spoon the filling on top. Bake them, then let them cool completely in the pans before trying to remove them.

I buy my active dry yeast from Sam's Club. 2 1-pound packages lasts me a long time.
I am really sad that almost all of the little bakery shops are gone, they were a staple in every town when I was growing up. Now the doughnuts come from the grocery store - and are not as good.. I grew up in a small town in northern WI with the best bakery, it was right on the highway to "up-north" for a lot of vacation/hunting cabins so it did really good business. I have met a lot of people from Milwaukee area that knew of that bakery because they would stop there every on their way to their cabin. Doughnuts were our Saturday or Sunday treat, maybe not every weekend, but often enough. It closed down sometime in the last 7 years while I lived in Wyoming. It was a family business and none of the kids wanted it when the parents needed to retire because of health reasons.
hit.gif
I moved back to the area and wanted to stop in, but it was closed up and empty.

There weren't any bakeries in our nearest town in Wyoming, so I found a recipe for Kringles and make my own now. They are a tradition for my husband for Christmas time.
Hi wyoDreamer,

I've never heard of Kringles, what are they? Is that a recipe you wouldn't mind sharing with us?

I don't bake but my father in law has a small wholesale bakery at his house. Wood fired brick oven, bakes at night, delivers in the morning, and oh my, the smell of fresh baked bread! And the taste hot out of the oven! Mostly sub rolls, dinner roles, some white bread, long french bread. Once a month he makes a batch of onion sour rye, makes a starter a week ahead, it's unreal better than any store bought, it's my favorite.
The oven is around 500 degrees and bakes everything with a nice crust, and soft in the middle. I was going to the Adirondacks hunting a few years ago and asked him for a big loaf of Italian for cheesy garlic bread to go with lasagna a buddy was bringing. When he dropped it off he was laughing, It was three foot long and as round as a football! Baked perfect also.

Yay to a baking thread! I make whole wheat honey bread (don't grind my own wheat though!), while wheat pizza dough and challah bread for special occasions because it looks fancy and people are all impressed even though it's super easy. Lol. I've been doing stuffed challah too. Have stuffed it with cheese and broccoli and with ham and cheese. I really want to try some sourdough and have some sourdough recipes pinned on Pinterest with how to make your own sourdough start, but just haven't been brave enough yet.
Also, whoever posted that cinnamon roll recipe a few pages back, I think I will be making that for Christmas this year.

Thanks
1f601.png
It was yummy. It's the fancy bread I bust out for special occasions. Lol. One of those is just normal challah bread and one is stuffed with cheese and broccoli.

Local farmers, great if you can build up a good relationship with them.

The UK really seems to promote local produce, even in the supermarkets, they have isle sections dedicated to local produce, fewer carbon miles and local business promotion, all good.
I just grow my own, and supplement from buying direct from farm stores.

Our supermarkets were more like yours when I was growing up…I guess the purchasing is too centralized. And a lot of Americans now really don't know the difference in good produce vs what looks pretty.

And a lot of Americans now really don't know the difference in good produce vs what looks pretty.
Boy, you got that right sunflour! Given the choice, a lot of people will opt for the perfect, non-flavorful food vs. the more natural, more flavorful real deal.

Back
Top Bottom