Any Home Bakers Here?

Have a great Easter everyone, it looks like it's going to be a beautiful day here...blue skies and no wind yet
1f423.png
1f430.png

There are way, way too much cake and cookies going on over here this week! Let's get some veggies in you
wink.png

Here's a lovely, simple way to cook zucchini. I don't know about you guys, but I always end up with way too many of the things.

Baked Zucchini Rounds

What you need:

2 Medium or one overgrown zucchini
1/2 - 1 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

What you do:

Preheat oven to 425F
Line a baking sheet with foil/parchment paper and give it a light sprinkling of cooking spray
Cut zucchini into 1/4 inch thick slices
Arrange close together on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper
Cover with a generous layer of parmesan cheese
Bake for 15-20 minutes (until cheese is a light golden brown)
Go hide where no-one will find you and scoff the whole lot

That sounds good Sumi. I especially like the last part of the instructions, lol.

One more sweet for Easter!

Chocolate Swirl Babka:

kaf-logo-recipe-print.png

Chocolate Swirl Babka
6455-2-medium.jpg

At a Glance

Prep
20 mins.
Bake
30 mins. to 40 mins.
Total
1 hrs 50 mins.
Yield
1 loaf, 16 slices

Babka is traditional Eastern European Easter bread. This version is a good dessert bread, and it's great with coffee.
dough

filling

• 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
  • 1 tablespoon Instant ClearJel, optional; to keep filling from overflowing during baking
topping

Directions

1. To make the dough: Place all of the dough ingredients into the pan of your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Program the machine for dough or manual, and press Start. Check the dough's consistency about 7 minutes after the kneading cycle begins, adding additional water or flour to form a soft, smooth ball of dough.
  2. To make the filling: While the dough is rising, combine all the filling ingredients in a small bowl, and then set them aside.
  3. To shape the loaf: Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, and roll it into a 10" x 14" rectangle. Brush it lightly with melted butter, and sprinkle the filling over the dough, leaving a 1" border along the edges. Starting at a short end, roll the dough up jelly-roll style. Pinch the ends closed, and tuck them under.
  4. Place the loaf, seam-side down, in a lightly greased 9" x 5" loaf pan. Brush the top of the dough with the reserved egg white. Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the loaf in the pan.
  5. Tent with greased plastic wrap. Let it rise for about 45 minutes; it won't double in size, but should just barely crown over the rim of the pan. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat your oven to 350°F.
  6. To bake: Uncover the loaf, and bake it for 30 to 40 minutes, or until its sides have pulled away slightly from the pan. Remove the loaf from the oven and, after about 5 minutes, remove it from the pan. Transfer it to a rack to cool completely.

Everything everyone makes looks sooooo good.
91.gif
My latest attempt at sourdough onion bagels. Not baked yet but they are looking good. My last batch of sourdough bagels when flat when I \went to boil them so I scooped them all up and added a bit more flour and they turned out ok. I didn't use a recipe this time I just added the ingredients in proportions as with most recipes. I hope they turn out as good. I used 3 cups of starter that I have been feeding twice a day. I may have not mastered sourdough bread but I'm doing ok with the bagels.

Last edited:
One more sweet for Easter!

Chocolate Swirl Babka:

kaf-logo-recipe-print.png

Chocolate Swirl Babka
6455-2-medium.jpg

At a Glance

Prep
20 mins.
Bake
30 mins. to 40 mins.
Total
1 hrs 50 mins.
Yield
1 loaf, 16 slices
Babka is traditional Eastern European Easter bread. This version is a good dessert bread, and it's great with coffee.
dough

filling

• 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
  • 1 tablespoon Instant ClearJel, optional; to keep filling from overflowing during baking
topping

Directions

1. To make the dough: Place all of the dough ingredients into the pan of your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Program the machine for dough or manual, and press Start. Check the dough's consistency about 7 minutes after the kneading cycle begins, adding additional water or flour to form a soft, smooth ball of dough.
  2. To make the filling: While the dough is rising, combine all the filling ingredients in a small bowl, and then set them aside.
  3. To shape the loaf: Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, and roll it into a 10" x 14" rectangle. Brush it lightly with melted butter, and sprinkle the filling over the dough, leaving a 1" border along the edges. Starting at a short end, roll the dough up jelly-roll style. Pinch the ends closed, and tuck them under.
  4. Place the loaf, seam-side down, in a lightly greased 9" x 5" loaf pan. Brush the top of the dough with the reserved egg white. Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the loaf in the pan.
  5. Tent with greased plastic wrap. Let it rise for about 45 minutes; it won't double in size, but should just barely crown over the rim of the pan. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat your oven to 350°F.
  6. To bake: Uncover the loaf, and bake it for 30 to 40 minutes, or until its sides have pulled away slightly from the pan. Remove the loaf from the oven and, after about 5 minutes, remove it from the pan. Transfer it to a rack to cool completely.

That looks and sounds awesome. And it has bread machine instructions
bun.gif

Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom