Any Home Bakers Here?

Oh you are completely right. I need to preserve it. I may ask the historical society what they do and if they can refer me to someone to do it for me. I would worry about my doing it myself since there are oils and food on the pages from where she used it. It is precious enough that I'd like to do it right. 

I would consider it, especially because it is a note book. You could cut the wire binding, laminate, and then rebind. Or just place in a binder, to make things easier.
I realize that that would take away from the original look...but what is more precious? The handwritten pages, or the original look?

Just do a little research first though. Not all plastics are created equal. I know with my old family history photos I had to buy plastic sleeves that were archival safe as the chemicals in regular plastic ones will degrade and yellow the paper over time. I have laminated newspaper clippings (which I regret now) but it remains to be seen how long they will keep readable in it. I think I'd be tempted to simply scan and reprint it and use the scanned version while keeping the original safely stored in an archival safe bag in a dry place (with archival safe plastic between the oil marked pages to keep it from damaging pages below)

We have a copy of Shakespeare that's been passed down the family printed in 1709 and the damage to it is in the bindings and cover from being used not from just being 300 years old. It wouldn't be quite the same if it was a cut up laminated version of it even though it's getting pretty old in the tooth it's worth far more both financially and emotionally in its original state.

Last edited:
Thought I'd share my goodies for today. What else could I do on a rainy day???
Basic sourdough bread

Sourdough blueberry muffins

Blueberry scones. (I didn't have any self-rising flour so I had to make my own).

Onion bagels. I can't count. Was supposed to be a dozen, well I guess it's going to be a baker's dozen.

Whole wheat sourdough bread loaves.

Basic sourdough bread

Blueberry scones. (I didn't have any self-rising flour so I had to make my own).

Onion bagels. I can't count. Was supposed to be a dozen, well I guess it's going to be a baker's dozen.

That is a lot of baking!

It all looks very tasty too.

Quote: I was out of bread, had no bagels which I love and was in the mood for some snacks (scones and muffins). I was hungry. They say don't go shopping when you're hungry I guess that can apply to don't bake when you're hungry.
pop.gif
caf.gif

Last edited:
Basic sourdough bread

Now I'm hungry!
Those muffins look delicious.

Basic sourdough bread

Looks yummy!!

It could be too much egg but how would that affect the cake? Too dense?
I've really no idea what it would do..... I have made sacher torte which uses lots of eggs, and it is a very dense type of cake. Whether an extra 30g (or whatever) of egg in a mixture would affect the result, I don't know. I'd be thinking you'd need a tiny bit more flour to balance it out?

You could try to measure out the egg by using the size guide as to how many grams an egg has to try to get it "right"?

When you make bagels, do you boil them first?

Last edited:
I've really no idea what it would do..... I have made sacher torte which uses lots of eggs, and it is a very dense type of cake.  Whether an extra 30g (or whatever) of egg in a mixture would affect the result, I don't know.  I'd be thinking you'd need a tiny bit more flour to balance it out?  

You could try to measure out the egg by using the size guide as to how many grams an egg has to try to get it "right"?

When you make bagels, do you boil them first?  
I weighed my eggs -of which I have 4 at the moment -and two weigh in at small, one on the edge of sm/med and one med so I think I can use the two small and one med to get what I need. If not, we'll still eat it because cake never goes to waste at my house and I'll know better next time.
1f609.png

I suspect it'll turn out fine... Many recipes just say "2 eggs", they don't even specify what size. I bit more or a bit less may not result in much difference to the result.

Oh you are completely right. I need to preserve it. I may ask the historical society what they do and if they can refer me to someone to do it for me. I would worry about my doing it myself since there are oils and food on the pages from where she used it. It is precious enough that I'd like to do it right.

Good idea... the one's I have are not quite that old.

Back
Top Bottom