Any Home Bakers Here?

Morning all. The grandkids are hanging out with Grammy today so the oldest is going to help me make bread and rolls. He told me the other day he wants to learn and "hates store bread" :rolleyes: I'm thrilled he wants to learn though.

As for baking being a science and cooking being intuitive, I agree for the most part. @FortCluck Baking is always better from scratch. I wasn't ever the baker in my family, but I have learned to make bread. There's a learning curve in baking just as there in cooking. The difference is that you cook according to taste, not so in baking. You'll get it, it just takes a little practice.

@ronott1. I'm drooling over that bread. I bet it would be great with butter on it and a hot bowl of soup!
I dipped the bread into an infused olive oil from a place called corning olives. Corning California has a lot or olive orchards and processing plants.

It was very good!

@ronott1 LOVE your clay baker! I bake my bread in a dutch oven, I already own two , I so use what I have. I still would love to buy one for myself......someday.....
The romertoff is glazed in the bottom and can bake a lot of things. Chicken is very good in it

Morning all. The grandkids are hanging out with Grammy today so the oldest is going to help me make bread and rolls. He told me the other day he wants to learn and "hates store bread" :rolleyes: I'm thrilled he wants to learn though.

As for baking being a science and cooking being intuitive, I agree for the most part. @FortCluck Baking is always better from scratch. I wasn't ever the baker in my family, but I have learned to make bread. There's a learning curve in baking just as there in cooking. The difference is that you cook according to taste, not so in baking. You'll get it, it just takes a little practice.
There is a part in baking that is chemistry and a part that can be creative like spices. The chemistry part has to be more precise

@FortCluck I agree 100% with the others...scratch made is always better than a mix. You just have to experiment and find the right recipes!

Here's my #1 cookie recipe, so easy and only 4 ingredients. (I think it's already in the Index but will repeat here for simplicity.)

Peanut Butter Cookies
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup peanut butter (either crunchy or smooth)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix it all together. Put tablespoon size lumps on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake at 325* for about 14 minutes. Done!

I like to add mini chocolate chips to the dough sometimes. Or put mini peanut butter cups on top of each cookie as soon as the cookies come out of the oven.

I think that sounds like a great way to spend the day IM! You and the g-kids will make some fun memories baking together.

@FortCluck I agree 100% with the others...scratch made is always better than a mix. You just have to experiment and find the right recipes!

Here's my #1 cookie recipe, so easy and only 4 ingredients. (I think it's already in the Index but will repeat here for simplicity.)

Peanut Butter Cookies
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup peanut butter (either crunchy or smooth)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix it all together. Put tablespoon size lumps on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake at 325* for about 14 minutes. Done!

I like to add mini chocolate chips to the dough sometimes. Or put mini peanut butter cups on top of each cookie as soon as the cookies come out of the oven.
I'd have to find a vegan way lol. No one likes peanut butter cookies except me 😁

Back
Top Bottom