Any Home Bakers Here?

You sound magnificent by the comments and advice you give. I so wish I could stand and watch all you and @ronnot1 do while baking :yesss:. I'm pretty crap at times :th
Marie2020, Do not get discouraged. I think all have set backs. Just forget it and go forward. I would certainly like for you to watch....but most are FAR away. Learn by doing, asking questions. It does take time.
Aria

You sound magnificent by the comments and advice you give. I so wish I could stand and watch all you and @ronnot1 do while baking :yesss:. I'm pretty crap at times :th
Marie, I'll echo what the rest have said. Don't get discouraged! We've all had flops. It takes time and practice, but once you get the feel of it, it becomes second nature. I'm still working on my whole wheat sandwich bread. I get closer every time, so the next time I make another adjustment and keep notes.

Marie, I'll echo what the rest have said. Don't get discouraged! We've all had flops. It takes time and practice, but once you get the feel of it, it becomes second nature. I'm still working on my whole wheat sandwich bread. I get closer every time, so the next time I make another adjustment and keep notes.
I don't get discouraged easily especially when it's food ;). Even my failure tasted at least, which is more than I can say for the shop bought.

Don’t feel bad. We all made mistakes while cooking at least once in our lives. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. Learning is a process, and sometimes you make mistakes along the way, but those mistakes help you learn.

What would happen if you made a dish perfectly the first time?

I can testify to this, as it’s happened at least two times in my life. I didn’t learn much about making dish. Because I did it right the first time, I didn’t really have much of a learning experience.

There are plenty of dishes that I’ve made where I screwed up, sometimes the entire meal. In those experiences, I feel I learned the most.

The first time I cooked a Canada goose, I failed to the fat out of the carcass. I was about ready to give up on cooking goose, and goose hunting in full. However, I learned from the experience after some research told me you have to render the fat.

The very next season, I learned how to cook a goose perfectly. All because of a mistake I made that taught me something.

Thomas Edison, the man who invented the incandescent lamp, failed several times to make it successfully. When he finally succeeded, he said that he discovered 1000 ways not to make one.

In a nutshell, don’t feel bad. Mistakes help us learn, that’s what they are there for.

Most baking mistakes still taste good!

One of the biggest problems is getting the flour to water ratio correct. Often I do that by feel-- add flour until the bread has the right feel.

Sourdough bread is often still sticky so you go by stiffness

Back
Top Bottom