Any Home Bakers Here?

Just taking the seeds out of something that size would be a chore, I trust you aren't going to peel them. There might be nothing left.
No, no peeling for those little puppies. It was bad enough destemming and taking the blossom ends off. I felt like I was at it forever and had about 2" worth out of my 5 gallon bucket! This may take me a while :gig

Oh, I think dehydrators can keep many many years! ;)
:smack

If you make chips as opposed to not dehydrating them that much? How do you store them? I wondered if freezing them would be good, or if they get mushy when you took them out.
I haven’t ever frozen them before. I store in a vacuum sealed bag but put some in a jar with an o2 absorber for what we’ll eat in a month or so. Mind you they never last that long. I sprinkle with a little cinnamon after I dip in lemon juice. Or we do the shake and bake method with cinnamon and fruit fresh and just shake to coat.

PS if you do freeze I would open the bag to thaw which will release any moisture but I would be worried about mushiness too.

On the dehydrating subject: do you have to core the apples or just slice and remove seeds? I didn't know if the core would be inedible or unappetizing...
If it was me, I would get a hole punch set, something similar to this to use as a corer. You could either core the apples whole or do the slices individually.

When I made apple chips, they were a small sweet apple. I quartered, peeled, cored and sliced them. I strung them on a thin string and hung them in the basement to dry. Once they were dried, it was like eating candy and they did not last long.

I have apple core/slicer I peeled them
Yeah, I forgot that I have one of those in an unopened box and it will slice them at the same time. I got mine nearly for free after the rebate at Menard's. My apple trees have not yet produced enough to bother taking it out of the box.

I have seen a lot of pictures of dehydrated apples with the core still in there, they just sliced the apple into circles. I have never eaten one with the core still in there, so I really can't say.
I haven’t ever frozen them before. I store in a vacuum sealed bag but put some in a jar with an o2 absorber for what we’ll eat in a month or so. Mind you they never last that long. I sprinkle with a little cinnamon after I dip in lemon juice. Or we do the shake and bake method with cinnamon and fruit fresh and just shake to coat.

PS if you do freeze I would open the bag to thaw which will release any moisture but I would be worried about mushiness too.
If it was me, I would get a hole punch set, something similar to this to use as a corer. You could either core the apples whole or do the slices individually.

When I made apple chips, they were a small sweet apple. I quartered, peeled, cored and sliced them. I strung them on a thin string and hung them in the basement to dry. Once they were dried, it was like eating candy and they did not last long.
Thank you guys for the advice and tips. I might try both core in and out, because they apples are quite small. Maybe a mandolin to slice?

I also found this recipe interesting:
https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/smoked-apples/

Might have to try them on the smoker, now! I have a few bigger ones to use up, as well.

Thank you guys for the advice and tips. I might try both core in and out, because they apples are quite small. Maybe a mandolin to slice?

I also found this recipe interesting:
https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/smoked-apples/

Might have to try them on the smoker, now! I have a few bigger ones to use up, as well.

Be careful if you use a Mandolin...I lost a big slice of my thumb to one of those using it at work.

Smoking them sounds interesting!

Back
Top Bottom