Any Home Bakers Here?

So, has anyone started thinking about Thanksgiving or Christmas and what recipes they want to make (or try for the first time)?

Since T-giving will just be 2 of us, I'm going to try a new recipe with turkey breasts. No need for a huge bird here.
I am gonna do the usual- there won't be hardly anyone here this year. For appetizers, gonna make Cranberry crack (mmm) and have chips and salsa. Gonna dry brine my turkey and make cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, ambrosia, gravy and yeast rolls. For dessert, pecan pie and pumpkin pie. I can't decide if I want to make a Hummingbird cake instead of the pecan pie, though. Tough call. My granny always had that cake at holidays.

I realized last year that “just another day” wasn’t going to cut it anymore. I’m married but alone, and I need something to remind me I’m alive, and it’s not all bad. So I’ll be grateful for Duckling, and about four people on BYC. :D
I feel your pain. All of the deaths and horrors in our family seem to occur during the holidays. For years, I considered it just another day, especially after my husband died. Then, I figured, what the heck, I am special so, every couple of years, I do the thing, invite a few over for dinner, cook the old favorites because I like to and eat and enjoy it all. Even on years I don't do for anyone but myself, I still make what I love and have a special dinner on the good china- watching a favorite movie in my favorite jammies. Then spend the rest of the day on the couch reading a good book.

We have company coming for Friday supper again. We are enjoying this so much more than meeting them at the bar.
So far the menu is: beef tenderloin roast and homemade bread. lol.

The tenderloin was on sale for $6.99 a pound, so I bought 2 and threw them in the freezer. Will pull them out on Wednesday to defrost, then season and tie-up on Thursday so ready to grill or broil on Friday night.
DH said he would like me to make a Cheesecake - so I made one last night for us because the cream cheese that I had was just past the Best Buy date, and you can't serve that to guests. We will freeze 1/2 of that one and I will make a fresh one on Thursday night for company.
I also canned 6 pints of beef chunks for the pantry, quick meals for a busy day.

Back
Top Bottom