Any Home Bakers Here?

There’s nothing I enjoy more than working with Katie or Evan in the kitchen. I’ve been cooking with them since they were about 8 or 9 years old. Evan is now 17 and Katie will be 17 in December.

Evan loves cooking..his mom has always hated it. So they have a deal….he cooks all of their meals, she does the cleanup. They’ve done that for years and they’re both happy with the arrangement. He even makes his favorite meal - sushi and sashimi - but fixes Tam something else since she won’t touch that. Evan just got his first job. He’s working in a restaurant as a dishwasher and training to be the prep cook. He’s tickled pink!

Katie doesn’t get to cook at home as much as she’d like - Kendra is devoted to her and often Katie will step back from the stove and practically trip over her. Not good while working with hot food and pans. Kendra is fast…if Jenny goes into the bathroom, Kendra makes a beeline crawling to be with her Katie. But Katie can whip up a meal, a batch of biscuits, or a dessert like a pro when given the opportunity. She loves to come spend the weekend with me. I simply ask her what ”gramma meal” she’d like to learn to make, and then I let her get to it. This new, huge kitchen is absolute paradise for that. Katie’s Autism means extra care with each step. She needs to get her mise en place set out before she even starts cooking…..onions chopped, spices and seasonings set out, meats and veggies ready to go, and cleaning up as she goes. If she has measured out and added her cinnamon or whatever, she turns the bottle upside down so she knows she’s used it already so she doesn’t wonder if she’s put it in or will accidentally double up on it. And every so often she gathers what she’s used and puts it away, avoiding any further clutter in her work space. I should be so organized!! Right now we’re working on timing….knowing when to start each thing so it’s all ready at about the same time and can be served piping hot.

View attachment 3127364
Katie’s buttermilk biscuits

View attachment 3127365
Evan getting ready to make us lime cilantro pork chops. This was when I was teaching them how to read through, then follow a recipe.

View attachment 3127366
Katie sent me this…she made dinner for her whole family - chicken and rice with sauce, corn, and biscuits.

View attachment 3127367
Even Kendra likes cooking…she and Katie are making pizza. The shower cap? Well, Kendra insists on wearing her “chef’s hat” when she is getting to make something.

View attachment 3127368
Kate and her first pressure cooker meal at Gramma’s old house…roast beef, taters and carrots. She also made a rich brown gravy, but she only had two hands for the photo.
You will never have to worry about putting a meal on the table. Those children are great cooks :)

You will never have to worry about putting a meal on the table. Those children are great cooks :)
I’m more pleased that they have the skills and the confidence to take good care of themselves when the time comes for them to be on their own. They can shop smart, read recipes and follow them, and put together meals without a recipe. I was 11 when I started really cooking, and by 13, I was responsible for feeding myself, Linda, Lori, Ron, Bev and Dad while Ma worked. (And I could use as many dishes, pots and pans as I wanted - Dad made the others cleanup after dinner because I cooked!)

I’m more pleased that they have the skills and the confidence to take good care of themselves when the time comes for them to be on their own. They can shop smart, read recipes and follow them, and put together meals without a recipe. I was 11 when I started really cooking, and by 13, I was responsible for feeding myself, Linda, Lori, Ron, Bev and Dad while Ma worked. (And I could use as many dishes, pots and pans as I wanted - Dad made the others cleanup after dinner because I cooked!)
The 10-y-o came outside this morning, and demanded her mother make breakfast. Scrambled eggs and even toasting an Eggo was beyond her grasp. She has now used the stove and oven. I’m planning on having her make us all pancakes in the morning. She loves throwing things together, it’s my goal to turn it into recipes and getting things cooked/baked instead of tossed in the trash.

At the age of 12, I was cooking all meals.

As well, I was doing most of the housework.

This was my weather yesterday while driving back from Spokane. My brother was driving when I took the picture. Slight phone editing.

4FC7AB6E-3DA7-4695-895B-50A017D7E4DD.jpeg

My grandparents are mentally deteriorating fast. We actually need to hasten the work on getting the house ready for them to move in with us. They’re going to move in with us in about three weeks.

It’s that serious. My grandfather is having severe memory issues, as well as my grandmother. My grandfather‘s worse, though. It may be dementia.

My grandfather also tore a rotator cuff.

Truth be told, I hate seeing them suffer with their memory like this. But that’s why they’re moving in with us, so we can take care of them.

We moved about half their stuff down already yesterday. We’re putting it in a storage unit, per the grandparents request. In three weeks, we’re moving the rest down, including the grandparents.

I’m going to be busy.

Back
Top Bottom