Any hunters on here?

just got back today from bear hunting. set up our baits on Friday and got hit the first night. never saw anything but still pretty good. going back in a week or so hopefully will get one then.

also trapped a beaver.
Good luck. Sounds like a good time.
I've taken two bears with the bow in Maine many yrs ago over bait. My buddy would rebait every other day, for two weeks before we hunted. My two weren't big, 150lbs, but dam tasty.

My DH has only gotten one bear tag. He baited for weeks with a trail cam on the pile, multiple bears came to his pile until a couple days before the season opened, then they were suddenly gone! No trace of them whatsoever. It’s like they KNEW!! Oh well, the pictures were cool.

My DH has only gotten one bear tag. He baited for weeks with a trail cam on the pile, multiple bears came to his pile until a couple days before the season opened, then they were suddenly gone! No trace of them whatsoever. It’s like they KNEW!! Oh well, the pictures were cool.
They ALL know! Bears, deer, turkeys. Somewhere, well hidden in the woods, is a calendar!

Good luck. Sounds like a good time.
I've taken two bears with the bow in Maine many yrs ago over bait. My buddy would rebait every other day, for two weeks before we hunted. My two weren't big, 150lbs, but dam tasty.
oh they sure are good eating. i have only gotten one bear. but sure was good.

I don't hunt(small bladder) but my husband does and he will be taking our 9 year old out with him this year. He got a 350 Legend and is very excited to use it. We don't get much, doesn't take a lot to feed us, there are just the three of us. And we have a dairy farm in the family so I can get beef anytime I need it. But bacon/venison burgers are delish! I've had black bear before, wasn't a fan. Very greasy and gamey tasting. Probably the way it was cooked. Hubby is thinking about doing pheasant hunting this year. We have a one year old weimaraner who would love to join him, after some training of course

I don't hunt(small bladder) but my husband does and he will be taking our 9 year old out with him this year. He got a 350 Legend and is very excited to use it. We don't get much, doesn't take a lot to feed us, there are just the three of us. And we have a dairy farm in the family so I can get beef anytime I need it. But bacon/venison burgers are delish! I've had black bear before, wasn't a fan. Very greasy and gamey tasting. Probably the way it was cooked. Hubby is thinking about doing pheasant hunting this year. We have a one year old weimaraner who would love to join him, after some training of course
The key with black bear is you have to remove ALL the fat when processing. Bear fat is downright disgusting.

Those that hunt bear: Got any cool stories or yummy meals to share??
i don't got really any cool stories for bear hunting of myself (hunted them for 2 seasons this being my third season and only bagged one bear so far)

but for something cool to tell.

okay so i was told that the old time trappers used to shoot bears in the fall for meat and to have a fat supply for the winter, they used to use the fat for lighting lanterns and used it to cook with. the pelts would be sold to market and the meat for a supply in the winter.

One of my hunts, I was in a 10' ladder stand with no seat. So I sat on the platform resting my feet on the rungs. Little did we know when we placed the stand, it would be on the run a bear used to access the bait. My second evening I had a large 300+ lb bear come walking directly towards on from my right. Bears will often sit 20 yards from the bait surveying the area. This brute did just that, but at the base of my ladder. My feet were literally within 4' from his head. He sat there until my buddy arrived early to pick me up, spooking him.
If I had a rifle instead of my bow, he'd be a rug.

Back
Top Bottom