Any idea what this could be or causing it! I'm puzzled. (pic)

Theapplechicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Chrystal has been like this now for months! We have treated her for bugs (seven dust) and we've scrubbed the cage and treated it but she free ranges during the day. I've watched to see if any other chickens are bugging her but she's actually "miss attitude" and if anyone is being mean, it's gonna be her. She has one friend that she hangs w/ all day and that hen is perfectly fine. She is the only one we have that is doing this. Not only is her neck bald all round but a small area of her chest is like this too. I have no clue what's causing it and not sure what to do???
hu.gif

86414_chrystal.jpg

Last edited:
finally a response! lol! I don't know. I've never had one do this before and like I said it's gone on for a few months now? She's about 3-4yr old. She seams healthy otherwise.

If she is miss attitude like you said, she may be doing it to her self. What is the protein content of her feed. She may need more than the others seeing how she is 3-4 yrs old and may not metabolize her food as well anymore. That is just my 2 cents.
hide.gif
Anyone have any other ideas.

Iave bantam frizzle Cochins & all three of them look like that.
I also have 2 that are not frizzle & an American game bantam
In there with a roo & they all are normal feathered .. It's just my
frizzle girls????
idunno.gif

Quote:
Great post. Get her a small bag of Gamebird or Showbird feed. Protein content is 24% for the most part.

The go to the drug store and get a small bottle of Venetian Violet. It is a very small bottle in the antiseptic section. I know out here Walgreens has it for $2.99. It comes with a small wand in it to apply. It is the same as a product called Blu-Kote but you are getting the generic without the aerosol. Dab it on the area and if it is her she will leave it alone.

Best of Luck

she can reach to pull out her own feathers that high on her neck? She does "prune" and scratch a lot, that's why I thought it was bugs at first. I'll have to check the feed bag. I use Dumor Layer pellets and occasional treats. What could I do to increase her protein? eggs? Peanut butter? or is there something to add to her feed?

Back
Top Bottom