Any ideas as to when my pullets might start laying?

SophiaLinn

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
Massachusetts
I have 3 golden laced wyandottes, 2 easter eggers, a buff orpington, and a black australorp. They are just over 20 weeks now and have been on their new layer feed since about 18 1/2 weeks (mixed with their old food for a week to avoid digestive issues). I'm just wondering if there are any clues as to when they may start laying. I added pictures so you can see them. I haven't opened up the nesting boxes yet. I've heard different opinions on whether to open them when they get to 18 weeks or not until you get the first egg so they don't start sleeping and pooping in them. Should I open them now or should I still wait?
The pictures were taken over the weekend and their combs and wattles are already a little bigger and redder.

Attachments

• chicken 1.jpg
    chicken 1.jpg
    911.5 KB · Views: 13
  • chicken 2.jpg
    chicken 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • chicken 3.jpg
    chicken 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • chicken 4.jpg
    chicken 4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • chicken 5.jpg
    chicken 5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • chicken 6.jpg
    chicken 6.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • chicken 7.jpg
    chicken 7.jpg
    991.6 KB · Views: 14
  • chicken 8.jpg
    chicken 8.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • Chicken 9.jpg
    Chicken 9.jpg
    966.1 KB · Views: 14
Yeah, the combs aren’t quite as big as I’d expect to see for close to laying. However, I have a Columbian Wyandotte nearing 35 weeks that hasn’t laid, yet, so apparently it can take quite a while. I also have an Easter Egger that is 24 weeks and her comb is still pretty small and pink (rather than red) like one of the ones you have pictured. I just did a pelvic bone check on both and am maybe 1+ fingers on each.

Back
Top Bottom