Any ideas with a chick with distended and sharp breast bone

Yes, you are right about that, but usually chicks with cocci do have bloody poo.
The feed store I go to has *hundreds* of sick chicks with nasty, smelly, poop, but very few have bloody poop. Their three peachicks that died there never had bloody poop, and the UC Davis necropsy result was coccidiosis. Maybe my experience coccidiosis has been with a type/types that don't produce the blood.

Last edited:
OK, so if the rest of the chicks are happy and seemingly healthy, do I treat them also? I have been giving her water today with a dropper and she takes that quite willingly and then seems to be happier for a little while and then goes back to hunkering.
Have you weighed her yet? Poop pictures? Is she in your house yet? Corid or Sulfa yet?

she weighs 2.6 ozs i am holding her now so typing with one hand. woman that i bought her from says no cocci as there is no runny stool, bloddy or otherwise in fact very little poop at all but the woman gave her a good feel and thought that perhaps there was some kind of blockage. I gave her a very weak solution of water with apple cider vinegar and mineral oil this morning and afternoon and just now, in fact all over me she pooped out a large brown turd with a white tip. she has eaten some chopped up mealy worms now and her medicated feed mushed up with yogurt so we will see in a day or so. very talkative, so perhaps she will be ok.

If she had that kind of poop I think you are doing a great job with it. If you are getting it to eat you are doing more than most can do. Th

Back
Top Bottom