Any ideas?

Jan 9, 2022
I had a rooster to die last night and any ideas what it could have been is appreciated. He was a polish, almost a year old. First i noticed he wasn't keeping up with the rest of the flock but was still running from me. He would also just stand around even if they was free ranging but he would come running for treats. I thought maybe bc it was cold outside he was trying to stay warm. I had went to check on them 5 days ago and he was laying face first on the ground which is how he normally lays what scared me was he didn't move when I got close to him. I thought he was dead. He has always been skittish and runs whenever you get close. When I picked him up I felt how skinny was. He is the only polish left and the smallest and gets picked on by everyone. I didn't expect him to be so skinny. I put him in a dog crate in the house. I fed him purina all flock feed (normal food) and gave him water. I also was giving him tuna and 1 1/2 cc poultry cell daily. After he got warmed up he seemed fine. Than 2 days ago I noticed he was plucking his tail feathers I thought the damage to them was the other chickens but apparently it came from him. Google said protein deficiency so more tuna and added eggs. Than yesterday he was standing in the corner of the crate, head down, tail down, both wings lowered. I also noticed he was cold to touch and he had stopped eating and drinkng. I tried hand feeding him but he didn't want to swallow. His poop also was a light colored greenish/yellow since I had him inside but first it was normal other than color and on his last day he had diarrhea the same color. He was wormed a few months ago and not due to be wormed again until late next month. This morning I went to check on him and he on his side, eyes closed . I knew he was gone. I just don't understand why.

Back
Top Bottom