Citychickengal

Songster
May 23, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone have any experience with a Bantam Cochin fertilizing their LF hens? I have a Mille Fleur bantam Cochin roo, and I’d love to hatch some little barnyard mixes just to expand my own flock. I’ve only had my roo for about two months, and although he tries to breed my hens, watching him I never thought it would be possible that he’d actually fertilize any of them. However, I cracked one of my large EE’s eggs the other day and to my great surprise it was fertilized!!

So, anyone else have any luck with their bantam Cochin successfully fertilizing LF? If so what kind of fertilization rates? And anyone have chick/offspring pics? Not sure what if anything I could expect!

I realize I’d probably have very low chances of actually hatching any eggs, so I’m not sure if I’m willing to just waste a ton of eggs in hopes I’d get a few fertilized, or if it’s really just a lost cause and I shouldn’t hold out hope.

For reference, my hens are EE, orphington, SLW, red star, dark Brahma, BCM, sapphire gem, and ameraucana.

Where there's a will, there's a way. A lot depends upon the individual rooster and the willingness on the hens to cooperate. I have had full size hens that would squat for bantam roosters and bantam roosters who would grab the middle of their backs so that he could 'make contact'. Sounds as if he is getting the job done at least with the EE. Have you checked eggs from any of the other hens. In my experience offspring of such matings are slightly larger than 50% the size of the parent hens.

Where there's a will, there's a way. A lot depends upon the individual rooster and the willingness on the hens to cooperate. I have had full size hens that would squat for bantam roosters and bantam roosters who would grab the middle of their backs so that he could 'make contact'. Sounds as if he is getting the job done at least with the EE. Have you checked eggs from any of the other hens. In my experience offspring of such matings are slightly larger than 50% the size of the parent hens.

I’ve been checking any eggs I eat and the recent EE egg is the first one I’ve found fertilized. I give away a decent amount of eggs though, so there could’ve been some I’ve missed.
The other thing is I have observed my rooster mounting a couple of the hens; his favorite is my Buff orphington and he only reaches to about halfway down her back, so it seems unlikely he’d be fertilizing anything!
Is there any possibility that as he gets more used to my flock he’ll get better at managing it? He settled in very quickly, but I’ve only had him about two months, and he’s right around a year old.

Back
Top Bottom