Any Market for?

Didi2016

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2015
I am retired and need to earn some extra money and I LOVE chickens so I was wondering if any of you chicken lovers has raised chicks from hatching eggs and subsequently sold them as young adult birds.
I was considering Seramas and Rosy Combs. Both Bantam breeds. Any advice or information is appreciated. I have raised chicks for years so incubating is not an issue. I am just wondering if I can sell them for a profit.
Thanks!

There is a saying in the horse world - "How do you make a small fortune in horses? Start with a large fortune" -- this can be applied to chickens as well. The price your birds can demand will depend on supply in your area, the quality of your birds, the desire of folks in your area to have quality over cheap, etc. Generally speaking, the cost it takes to support your breeding flock, the costs associated with running incubation equipment and the cost of then brooding those resulting chicks to the point of sale add up fairly quickly. Breeding/selling them is a great hobby - you may be able to feel you are making a small "profit" if you just look at the cash in your hand when you sell a bird vs. the cash that has gone out of your pocket leading up to that sale. I would approach it with the hopes that your hobby might be able to support itself rather than hoping for it to generate an actual income.

There is a saying in the horse world - "How do you make a small fortune in horses? Start with a large fortune" -- this can be applied to chickens as well. The price your birds can demand will depend on supply in your area, the quality of your birds, the desire of folks in your area to have quality over cheap, etc. Generally speaking, the cost it takes to support your breeding flock, the costs associated with running incubation equipment and the cost of then brooding those resulting chicks to the point of sale add up fairly quickly. Breeding/selling them is a great hobby - you may be able to feel you are making a small "profit" if you just look at the cash in your hand when you sell a bird vs. the cash that has gone out of your pocket leading up to that sale. I would approach it with the hopes that your hobby might be able to support itself rather than hoping for it to generate an actual income.

I agree totally - to actually make a "real" profit the economies of scale are key. I usually get enough money from selling eggs to cover the cost of feed only - thats ok. Without a chicken farm, i could not expect anything more.

CT

If you are wanting to make a profit I think quality is key. You can become a breeder, study the SOP (standards of perfection) for the breeds you decide on. Buy show quality started adults birds from reputable breeding lines. Get NPIP certified so you can ship out of state. Get involved with online breeding groups and make connections. If you show the birds and can get some winners then those birds, offspring and fertile eggs will be worth more $. It would take a lot of time and dedication. But, as was said previously, it could be a hobby that easily pays for itself.

Back
Top Bottom