Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Okay, here's pics as requested!!
smile.png

She sang a very quiet, no fanfare, egg song.

HOWEVER, a little while after taking these pictures, my silkie went into the nest and laid down for a while. My daughter and I sat out there in the run and waited to see if she was going to lay her third egg for the third day in a row. After a bit, she same to the door of the coop and sang the loudest egg song - she got the entire flock going with her, including the roosters. So, we checked the nest and NO egg. Really? Then, a few minutes later, she went in again. Two roosters took turns going in and laying face to face with her, talking to her and when she came out this time, no egg song and still no egg. Do they go through all the motions, even the egg song sometimes, but still don't lay? Hmmm.....
Here's a couple pics from that. You can see my daughter thought hearing the egg song chorus for the first time was pretty humorous...
lau.gif

Love these pics! Does she have a blue ear? Wow, that is so adorable! Yes, they practice quite a bit, I bet she lays first thing in the morning tomorrow,, you'll see. There is a lot of lamaze coaching that goes on.. the roosters are really hysterical to watch with that. I have to post a video of Duke doing mimicking the egg song... it is so loud, not to be believed.

Love the picture of your daughter too....precious!

MB

MB Love that mare you have. She does not look that large... I thought that she would be wider. I will have the fairer out on Friday. My 2 only need a trim. But you remind me that I need to do more with the horses. It has been so warm that I have been busy getting other things done when I should take a break and go ridding.
Only one egg today. My two girls are slowing way down. Jan egg count was 73. Feb was 54 due to the turkey stopped laying in the first week of Feb. This month looks way slower. But that is OK with me. I have been giving away most of my eggs. It has been fun to see people reaction with them. I sold a few at a yard sale. 3 boxes of 6... each person thought that they were not real. My friend's mom will have another yard sale in November and I should have a lot of layer by then. I did well with the eggs so I will try again.
Today was the second day in the 80's... I am sitting here in shorts and a tang top... The next few days are going to be in the 90's. A little warm for spring. I am hoping for more rain. This is supposed to be our rainy month... we are way behind the rain total averages.
Congrats on all the eggs out there.... My little Amber is now 18 weeks old. She is a gold star... she should start soon... It would be kind of funny if she decided to start when I am out of town. I will leave on Friday and be back on Monday. A short family vacation with some of my cousins and aunts.
Thank you Cat.. she was just full body clipped, so she gives a sleek appearence. She is the more modern type of Halfie.. Nice Austrian sire, the woman who came today loved her and I think she is going to take her for a two week trial. Don't be too hard on yourself with the horse time. It's difficult to parcel your time, and you work outside the house. It's so hard to swing it all! I must tell you, the little touch of spring we felt today made me SO excited for all the green to start... can't wait!

MB

I really enjoy checking in here daily.

Well, whoever is laying for me continued to do so today
lol.png

3 in 3 days. They are all about the size of a ping pong ball.
The trick today was that the egg was layed on the ground
level of our tractor. (she has yet to make it in the nest box)
The catch is that she chose the end
of the 8 foot length of tractor that had no opening. Coincidence?
I think not, I had to be a contortionist to get to that egg and not
end up with "extra stuff" all over me along the way. It was still so worth it
gig.gif

Little Bit is so handsome. I bet you jumped out of your skin. I guess he may have been attracted by the warmth but sometimes I wonder if cats know EXACTLY what they're doing. Maybe he was teasing you?
lau.gif

Thanks Spikes Chooks-- I was so scared to look in the dark corners of the box....I expected mangled little feather piles. I have three cats and I have always felt like half the time they are just pulling our chains...this same cat will sometimes yowl and yowl to be picked up but as soon as you reach down, he turns around and says no thanks...butthead. But there's no TV program as funny as watching the cats do cat stuff...although chickens are just about as silly.

Love these pics! Does she have a blue ear? Wow, that is so adorable! Yes, they practice quite a bit, I bet she lays first thing in the morning tomorrow,, you'll see. There is a lot of lamaze coaching that goes on.. the roosters are really hysterical to watch with that. I have to post a video of Duke doing mimicking the egg song... it is so loud, not to be believed.

Love the picture of your daughter too....precious!

MB

Yes, she has the prettiest blue ears! It really made her fit her name even more... "Cloud" with sky blue ears.
smile.png

Country girl, what a great story...silly little silkie. Maybe she just wanted some attention!

But what puzzles me....you have a chair in your chicken enclosure that is not covered with poop....how do you do that? I had a loveseat in mine so I could sit and watch but it quickly became a favored perch so now it's outside the pen...with a cover on it for free range afternoons.

Country girl, what a great story...silly little silkie. Maybe she just wanted some attention!

But what puzzles me....you have a chair in your chicken enclosure that is not covered with poop....how do you do that? I had a loveseat in mine so I could sit and watch but it quickly became a favored perch so now it's outside the pen...with a cover on it for free range afternoons.

lau.gif
We only bring it in there when we want to sit - normally the chairs sit outside of the run. Since they get "supervised" free ranging they spend too much time doing other things than to perch on the chairs. If they were left out all the time, I'm sure I would have the same issue.

Back
Top Bottom