Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Well, it sounds like quite a few people got Christmas eggs. Congratulations!

We're still waiting. I kept the girls in the run yesterday and today just in case they were laying in the bushes or something and I didn't know it. They usually get to free range all day. I had seen them hanging around under the hedge and near the shed so I was getting suspicious. But, no eggs. :(

Flora was crowing up a storm today. (He's the surprise roo. I named him when we got him as a little chick, expecting a girl...) I think he wanted to get out and look for bugs. I'll let them back out tomorrow. Maybe I'll try keeping them in again in a month or so if there's still no eggs. I guess we just need more daylight.

Well, it sounds like quite a few people got Christmas eggs. Congratulations!

We're still waiting. I kept the girls in the run yesterday and today just in case they were laying in the bushes or something and I didn't know it. They usually get to free range all day. I had seen them hanging around under the hedge and near the shed so I was getting suspicious. But, no eggs. :(

Flora was crowing up a storm today. (He's the surprise roo. I named him when we got him as a little chick, expecting a girl...) I think he wanted to get out and look for bugs. I'll let them back out tomorrow. Maybe I'll try keeping them in again in a month or so if there's still no eggs. I guess we just need more daylight.
I got a suprise Roo in my order of chicks too! I had named her Daisy, so we had to start calling him Duke. I like the name Flora, I'll have to use that one if I ever get new chicks. I took a picture of him yesterday, I told him to get the girls in action, and start laying those eggs! Here he is....

I was keeping the girls in as well, thinking they must be laying outside. I felt bad as they are used to free ranging most of the day. Now that we have about a foot of snow on the ground, they don't want to come out at all, so maybe this will work to my advantage,,and they will be stuck in their run and be forced to use the nest boxes. Maybe the New Year will quickly bring some eggs...
idunno.gif

Melabella Is proud to announce
The arrival of the very
First egg
From her RIR girl named
Rose
Mother and egg are doing well

Father Duke is clueless

​

Here it is next to a "large" store bought egg. I guess it's a medium then. SO SO HAPPY! FINALLY!

Soooooooo happy for you MB!!!!!!! you will probably get larger ones in the future maybe although my BO lays small ones all the time but my Production red lays nice sized eggs and sometimes double yolkers. That egg is a beautiful color too!!!!!!

I love that idea of blowing out and saving your first egg as someone mentioned on here! I did that with my first duck egg ( until my cat thought it was fun and broke it) but I'm going to do that with my BR's first eggs and keep them out of kitties reach.

Congrats again!!!!!!!

The big one is my Production red and the two small ones are my BO's
Sometimes my Production red lays huge ones!!!!!!!

Last edited:
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

It is a beautiful color! I love it. Great size... Did you weigh it? My first girl's eggs are slowly getting larger so I am sure yours will as well but that is a nice size no mater what. I am thrilled that it is your RIR that laid the first egg....

So egg-cited for you....

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom