Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Yay, MB! It must be something in the air.. for the past 3 days I've also gotten 4 eggs
highfive.gif
I know both of my EE girls are laying now since I got two blue eggs yesterday. I also know that my BR is laying because I see her sitting in the nest box every morning now (hopefully not thinking of going broody so soon!!) I'm still wondering who is laying the rest, though. Do you know which of your girls is laying each egg you get now?

Eggs are starting to accumulate fast!

And here's a pic of one of my lovely BO ladies, Loretta, just for fun
big_smile.png

OK so I am extremely jealous MB! I am still at one egg a day and no one seems to show any signs of changing. I am very confused 3 of my four RIR's have red combs and waddles like my rooster, the other is slightly lighter. The same is true of my ISA Browns, except the pale one is actually laying(go figure
barnie.gif
). My two americana are just going to bonus eggs so I don't expect much from them. Pepper is mating with all the girls as well. However, the three additional egg boxes I have are untouched and every time I check on them, in the coop, no one is even looking at the nests. I think I might separate my layer from the rest of the flock and provide her with the daily ration of scratch that I give the entire flock and let the others watch while she gets it all to herself. Perhaps this will get some production out of them.

While reading yesterday I saw some people use red pepper to stimulate egg production and others use light so I was thinking... Spicy Cayan Corn Bread treat tonight and putting halogen lights outside all windows in the coop to get things rolling. Of course, if I did this is would probably stress them out and my only layer would quit! I JUST WANT MORE EGGS!!!
fl.gif
he.gif

As you can see patience is not one of my stronger assets!

Yay, MB! It must be something in the air.. for the past 3 days I've also gotten 4 eggs
highfive.gif
I know both of my EE girls are laying now since I got two blue eggs yesterday. I also know that my BR is laying because I see her sitting in the nest box every morning now (hopefully not thinking of going broody so soon!!) I'm still wondering who is laying the rest, though. Do you know which of your girls is laying each egg you get now?

Eggs are starting to accumulate fast!

And here's a pic of one of my lovely BO ladies, Loretta, just for fun
big_smile.png

Oh my heck, I am so stinkin excited for us all! No, I have only inklings of who is laying due to waddles and combs. I am pretty sure one of my production reds is laying, and one of my Black Australorps. I also think one RIR, and maybe one Barred Rock. I have been so tempted to buy a hen cam. THey are very elusive about the whole thing. Not too noisy either. I just missed it all four times as all the eggs were warm.. I am heading out now at 1pm to see if any more are laying. I left my cell phone with in my neices car but will take photos of the eggs. They range from a nice rich darker brown to very light. YEAH!

I am so way envious of your tinted green/blue eggs! I would love to get some blue egg layers. How pretty Loretta is,,, do you think she is laying? Keep me posted.. love hearing the news!

MB

OK so I am extremely jealous MB! I am still at one egg a day and no one seems to show any signs of changing. I am very confused 3 of my four RIR's have red combs and waddles like my rooster, the other is slightly lighter. The same is true of my ISA Browns, except the pale one is actually laying(go figure
barnie.gif
). My two americana are just going to bonus eggs so I don't expect much from them. Pepper is mating with all the girls as well. However, the three additional egg boxes I have are untouched and every time I check on them, in the coop, no one is even looking at the nests. I think I might separate my layer from the rest of the flock and provide her with the daily ration of scratch that I give the entire flock and let the others watch while she gets it all to herself. Perhaps this will get some production out of them.

While reading yesterday I saw some people use red pepper to stimulate egg production and others use light so I was thinking... Spicy Cayan Corn Bread treat tonight and putting halogen lights outside all windows in the coop to get things rolling. Of course, if I did this is would probably stress them out and my only layer would quit! I JUST WANT MORE EGGS!!!
fl.gif
he.gif

Red,

I swear, you are right around the corner I thought that one egg a day stuff was going to never end, but here I am, only 12 days after my first egg and I have four in one day. I read on a thread here the other day some one was charting daylight, and said by the 15th the egg season should begin. I bet by then, you too will be rolling in eggs. I just have to figure out now who is laying. AND I am starting to have some Rooster issues. He has gone after me 3 times now... I don't want to have to get rid of him, but I can't have that either.

Hang in there pal!

MB

OK so I am extremely jealous MB! I am still at one egg a day and no one seems to show any signs of changing. I am very confused 3 of my four RIR's have red combs and waddles like my rooster, the other is slightly lighter. The same is true of my ISA Browns, except the pale one is actually laying(go figure :barnie ). My two americana are just going to bonus eggs so I don't expect much from them. Pepper is mating with all the girls as well. However, the three additional egg boxes I have are untouched and every time I check on them, in the coop, no one is even looking at the nests. I think I might separate my layer from the rest of the flock and provide her with the daily ration of scratch that I give the entire flock and let the others watch while she gets it all to herself. Perhaps this will get some production out of them.

While reading yesterday I saw some people use red pepper to stimulate egg production and others use light so I was thinking... Spicy Cayan Corn Bread treat tonight and putting halogen lights outside all windows in the coop to get things rolling. Of course, if I did this is would probably stress them out and my only layer would quit!  I JUST WANT MORE EGGS!!!  :fl   :he

I am in the exact same situation! I'm getting one egg a day, and there aren't any obvious signs that the other girls are remotely interested in laying. My Ameraucanas will be 9 months in 2 more weeks. What the heck?!

MB congrats on all your new layers! I won't let my egg envy stop me from being happy for you!

We tried Cayenne Cornbread. Nothing. Boo! Maybe we're just due for another round since the days are getting longer, we'll be warm, and even my horses have started an early shed of winter coats.

Here's a recipe for poultry spices - hey, it smells so good you could use it on human food:

It was recommended to me as a general health boost (especially the garlic), to help warm them up at breakfast time in winter, and some swear it helps them lay. Who knows - but might be worth a go!!! Especially for you folks in cold places... Thankfully, here it is mild today, with some possible light showers. Hope so as the heatwave returns tomorrow/Saturday.

Mix equal quantities of these ground spices:

Fenugreek, garlic powder, aniseed, tumeric, mustard powder and ginger
Weigh, then mix with 4 x weight of plain flour (helps to mix it thoroughly and to give sparse quantities).
Add 1/4 teaspoon daily for every 6 chooks.

Red, Brooster, Memcwhit...

I know it's only a matter of days with the sun increasing every day. I am going to try and stake out tomorrow and finally find out who is laying... I think I have an idea, there are 3 with very small waddles and combs. I guess they are just slower developing than the others. THank you for all the encouragement! Here is today's cache.

Ooooh! Thanks, Spike! I've got to run to the grocery store tomorrow, so I'll take that list with me and see if we can't boost them up some. :)

Red, Brooster, Memcwhit...

I know it's only a matter of days with the sun increasing every day. I am going to try and stake out tomorrow and finally find out who is laying... I think I have an idea, there are 3 with very small waddles and combs. I guess they are just slower developing than the others. THank you for all the encouragement! Here is today's cache.
Lovely!!!

Back
Top Bottom