Any other hawaiians out there?

Pics
Do your chickens stop laying in "winter?" My quail, which require a full 2 hours more sun than chickens per day to lay, are still pumping them out as though nothing has changed.

We get summer heat stress that slows my girls egg laying so by the time late fall happens they are starting to kick it into gear. Fall, winter and spring being the best for me BUT yes, low light can cause less eggs. Do they have any other stressors that you can think of that may have contributed to their low egg count?
*** How about feed? What are you feeding them?

Interesting! I found that summer wasn't at all that productive, but the hens were younger then. I thought I'd give the girls a break and eliminate artificial light for a few weeks around winter solstice, but they're cranking out the eggs faster than ever. I suppose nature takes its own course and the hens will be fine regardless.

Do your chickens stop laying in "winter?" My quail, which require a full 2 hours more sun than chickens per day to lay, are still pumping them out as though nothing has changed.
I have 5 laying hens, I have been getting 5 eggs followed by 3 eggs per day or an average of 4 eggs per day.

I have 2 Australorps, 2 Jersey Giants, 1 Buff Orpington. In addition, I have two Cuckoo Lemon Orpingtons that should start laying by end of month. They lay medium to large eggs, but I expect the eggs to get larger as they mature to full size.

The amount of food they eat is beginning to scare me.

I notice that when I heat oil in my pan to a smoking point and take it off the stove to cool for 5 minutes, my eggs don't stick to my pan when I use the seasoned pan to fry my eggs.

Another way I use to cook my room temperature eggs is to boil it for 5 minutes and rapid cool it with refrigerated water. In addition, I make a tiny hole on top with a sharp needle before I boil them. I want the whites to be cooked and the inside yolk soft. I soak them in a brine after I peel them and store it in my refrigerator. I use it to garnish my saimin or eat it for breakfast or lunch with other stuff.

Aloha,

Iʻve been looking for other BYC people who are living in Hawaii or similar climates to share their tropical experience with their flocks. Any takers?

Mahalo!
Aloha! I live on Maui in Kihei. I got free hens because they are feral but they're doing well, 4 months old now. I'm waiting for eggs. The only problem I'm having is keeping them out of the trees. To buy egg layers here they want $45 per hen!! I'm trying the cheap and organic way.

Aloha @Harley8181 welcome to BYC!
I totally commend you on raising the wild child chicks, I'm sure they appreciate that too for sure. They are a tuff breed to start with. You can always try to take them off their perch and place them on the roost you would like in the late eves with a hand or hose. You may have to do that till you turn blue. If you are worried about their safety you will need to lock them up in a coop. If you want them to lay in specific nest boxes you will need to lock them up in a coop. I believe the trick to raising feral and 1/2 feral is excepting that they are NOT domestic and never will be no matter how hard you try. They are just free spirits and will certainly enjoy you and the perks you provide but it is against their DNA to do what you want them to do. You just have to figure out if you are up for it.

If you are looking for something more... domestic, try look the feed stores for $5. chicks in the spring and fall. Also craigslist farm and garden will have chicks off and on too.

I don't know if I have helped you out much but that is from my experience. I do better if I except them on their terms as anything else is frustrating. If you can get a DOMESTIC rooster, that may help them to stay put a little better and help with the next generation.

Stay well and safe, aloha!

Aloha! I live on Maui in Kihei. I got free hens because they are feral but they're doing well, 4 months old now. I'm waiting for eggs. The only problem I'm having is keeping them out of the trees. To buy egg layers here they want $45 per hen!! I'm trying the cheap and organic way.
McMurray Hatchery said they have been shipping live chicks to Hawaii, but can't send other fowl types. If you order a minimum of 15 chicks it comes out around $70, this price includes two types of vaccines, vitamins, food/water gel for journey and shipping is free.
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chicks.html

I have an order placed for 10 cornish roasters and 5 white plymouth rocks for April 5th. You need to check the availability and order in advance. https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chicks.html

I have also ordered 5 live Bresse chicks from Paradise Poultry on Hawaii. Mareks vaccine was included in the price, but I had to pay for shipping. McMurray was cheaper, but its coming from the mailand, so greater risk. https://www.paradisepoultryhi.com/

The Bresse breed rank number one in taste in France and is served in high end restaurants. The Barbeziuex breed rank number 3 in taste, but is the preferred chicken for roasting and cooking on an open fire.

I am impressed with the Bresse chickens, it fills in faster than other heritage breeds and the males are table ready in 4 months, females take 5 months but start laying large eggs one month before other heritage breed.

I am not going to continue my Barbezieux line, it takes longer to fill in and they start to crow freaking early. Its kind of stressing me out because they are kind of skittish, unlike the Bresse breed. The Bresse chickens are easier to handle.

I hatched these Barbeziuex and Bresse chicks from Ebay hatching eggs. I found out about live chicks latter on. Shipped eggs has low hatch rates and sometimes none hatch. Its better to get live chicks. They send it to your local post office. The post offices calls you when they get it and you can see when they get it, by checking USPS online tracking. The Hatcery takes care the permit, we don't have to do any paper work. Live chicks is better than hatching eggs in my opinion.

DSCN0247.JPG

These came from Paradise Poultry, I ordered 5, but lost one a few days after it arrived.
DSCN0231.JPG

DSCN0234.JPG

Last edited:
My gal pal sent me this link from Maui Backyard Farm Swap (on fb I think). Just posted a few days ago. Good luck and keep us posted if you can.
37010.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom