Any other hawaiians out there?

Pics
I have 7 Silkie hens that I need to placed as soon as possible due to other commitments.They need to be placed on The Big Island. I have 2 BRAND NEW,never used coops that I am selling. I prefer that the Silkie hens go to a home where they WILL NOT be free range.They are 10 months old. In order to deter the adoption of them to a party that might want to use them as food there is a small adoption fee stipulation.The fee is $75.00 and all need to be placed together. Contact me here if interested, Big Island only. The Silkies are currently housed in a covered run inside a garage. Contact me here on this Hawaii blog. Maholo.

Fluffy: no not yet I was just in with them and it all brought me to tears. I truly love and will miss them. Each one is really different from the other. Their personalities keep me amazed and they really are smart something I never knew. They have enriched my life like no one really can!

hugs.gif
I know how you feel. I had to give up my Black rooster this weekend because my other boy kept fighting with him. I wanted the other one to go but the lady wanted my "Elvis"
hit.gif

Aloha all,
I don't think i've introduced myself yet. and in fact, i don't even have chickens yet. it's proven trickier than i thought to get chicks. i guess the problem lies in the fact that i don't want just any old chicken.

anyway, i'm over here in kailua on oahu. just moved into a house we bought, and so far it's lovely.

i had wanted to get a small flock of light brahmas and plymouth barred rocks, but it seems i'll have to wait until january if i want to stick to that plan. that's the earliest that asagi, the hatchery, can get them for me. i don't really want to wait that long. i also don't want to go through the whole rigmarole of shipping chicks directly to myself via mypetchicken. i'm told that involves vet visits and paperwork and possibly permits. plus it costs a lot more than just buying chicks. getting set up to have chickens is already gonna be a big thing so the rest of that kinda overwhelms me. anyway, i was in the waimanalo feed supply store a while back and a guy in there was trying to sell me on his chickens. as i recall, they were cuckoo marans. at the time, i thought asagi was going to work out perfectly so i wasn't interested in his birds, but now i'm going to be going through waimanalo this week, and i think i'll stop in and have a chat with him.

if that doesn't work out though, anybody else hatching babies on island in the coming weeks?

Mahalo!

Aloha! I too am from Hilo Hawaii!! I am very excited to meet new ppl i am new to this site and i am new to the state. Does anyone have any peafowl eggs for sale or guinnea eggs?? If not what have you got??

Dear Dianer29 I already have enclosed silkies and was wondering if you still have your chickens up for adoption... I still need to talk to my uncle cause he feeds them but i bet he will go for it considering you have a new coop enclosed.! thx. Let me know!

Aloha!
Thought I'd join BYC to gain some knowledge. I'm go glad there are some other locals here!
ya.gif

Just chillin on beautiful Kauai!
cool.png

Last edited:
yikes, the HI page doesn't seem to see much action. that's a bummer because i know there are a lot of chicken lovers out there on hawaii.

anyway, i'm looking to potentially order my feed from azure standard, which is online organic foods store. in addition to a lot of great looking human food, they sell some really tasty looking ORGANIC poultry feed made by cascade. it's Soy and Corn free. i'm trying to get buying organic feed to be, 1)cheaper- i pay over 40 bucks now 2)better quality 3) more convenient 4) more reliable.

how azure standard works though is that it's a group order thing, which helps keep costs down. once you hit a minimum order, they ship for free to a port in oregon. from there we would have to pay honolulu freight to get it over to our harbor.

there are a couple of established accounts on Oahu, but they are all private accounts, which means i can't just in and call up and order stuff. so i'm writing this post in hopes of finding one of these private account holders and joining in the good times OR to see if their is new, substantial interest in getting in on this sort of thing. i think we would need about 10 people willing to buy 50 bucks worth of goods per shipment. keep in mind that they have a huge selection of organic goods beyond chicken feed.

a 50 lb bag of Cascade feed costs about 25 bucks right now. i have no idea what honolulu freight would charge us but will obviously look into it if people are interested.

if you're interested, reply to this post or better yet, PM me.

Back
Top Bottom