Any other hawaiians out there?

Pics
Just a word of caution. Silkies are pretty laid back and docile compared to most other chickens and probably would do best separated from other breeds.Advise DH ahead of time of their needs as mongoose can and will get into very small places.

Hi Birds of Paradise,
Iʻm a real newbie (waiting for my chicks to arrive!).
Iʻm on Oahu. Iʻm expecting 3 sussex chicks in about 1 1/2 weeks.
Iʻm building a coop and getting ready for them.
Click n Cluck

Hi! You must be so excited!I am on Big Island and my SILKIES are a little over 18 months and spoiled rotten..lol

My daughter was offered a job, through her current employer, in Hilo. We are seriously considering the move, but a lot of things would need to be done here first. Not the least of which is selling our current house and land in this economy, and rehoming 41 birds.

We've been working with a real estate agent through e-mails, faxes and phone calls and are considering a house near Pahoa. Anyone have an opinion on the area?

Do the nurseries on the mainland ship day old chicks to Hawaii? Or... where do you get your chicks? We would absolutely build a coop and have our hens again, but not as many. Here we have a feed store that buys our eggs. There we'd probably just have enough hens to supply a family of 4 (and maybe make friends with some neighbors).

Hey there! Just joined BYC! I'm located on Kauai! Also I'm new to raising chickens! Just got 8. And love them already!! Aloha

welcome-byc.gif

Aloha! I am on Maui, I raise purebred Silkies. Have fun with your chickens!
ya.gif

Hey this is big island chicks but alas i am not on big island anymore... we are now on the west side of KAUAI!! we love our new - old home - DH was born here... looking to connect with chicken peeps over here...
KauaiChick - we should talk sometime!
Pelican49 - what subdivision are you looking at?? bc i know that a few of them are really against having chickens - most you can though - or find a spot out in the woods. i just love it over there... we lived in hamakua before moving here. and yes a few hatcheries will ship chicks to hawaii. goodluck
Aloha
cool.png

KAILUA, OAHU HERE!!! I've been lurking on BYC for a while now, but I'm finally getting out there. I haven't raised chickens for YEARS, but really want to get back into them. I started a cupcake business and eggs are EXPENSIVE, so I wanted to start a small flock of hens. I do want a colorful egg basket, so I'm thinking about putting in an order through either Kaneohe Farm Supply or Waimanalo Feed. Asagi doesn't hatch after Easter, so they're out for me. Won't be until September when I can get my chicks. I'm looking into Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, and Easter Eggers/Ameraucanas. Later I want them to hatch some Marans/Welsummer/Olive Eggers..if they go broody.

brandon

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi BigIslandChicks;

Of the 2 houses we like the most, one is in Hawaiian Parks (not Hawaiian Paradise Park) and the one we're kind of hooked on now is in Hawaiian Beaches.

Back
Top Bottom