Any Reason to Keep a Cockerel?

The only reason you need a male is for fertilized eggs so you personally have no NEED for one.

The only reason you might keep one is for personal preference. Some people like to hear one crowing but many people do not. Some people like the way they look or the way they interact with the hens. Some people hate the way they interact with the hens. There is always the chance that a rooster can become human aggressive. Not all do but some roosters do. I don't know anybody that enjoys that but there are some sick people in this world.

I cannot come up with any reason to suggest you keep him.

Other than fertilization and free ranging, keep them if you like 'em. First off, the crowing. I love it. Then we've got the looks. Where even to begin. Huge combs, bright colors, upright posture. Nothing can beat a beautiful rooster in looks. View attachment 3530317As you can see, it's more of a personal thing
Now those are some wattles. He’s a stud! I’m like you, I love a lot about them.

Other than fertilization and free ranging, keep them if you like 'em. First off, the crowing. I love it. Then we've got the looks. Where even to begin. Huge combs, bright colors, upright posture. Nothing can beat a beautiful rooster in looks. View attachment 3530317As you can see, it's more of a personal thing
thats a handsome man!

Reasons for keeping cockerel/rooster is fertilization, protection of the hens, looks, and to hear them crow. So, we keep one around for 4 reasons🤣.

I really love to hear them crow several times a day. They are also very beautiful to me.

Because we have a rooster on the homestead, we have not needed to purchase any chicks. Right now, we rotate our flock every 2-3 years. One year I was able give extra pullets, hatched on the homestead, to someone who wanted to grow their flock.

I realise it can be a horrible shock to some people on BYC but most hens I've known like having a rooster around. The cockerels not so much. They'll fuss over him, send him off to bath, rearrange his plumage so it's just right, groom the parts he can't reach and crouch for him if he so much as winks at them.
Shocking or what?
Hens like roosters. It's a natural thing.
Course, if you want to keep a bunch of bickering old biddies who draw lots for whose going to be the man around the place then perhaps a rooster may be too much of a challenge.:p
That, at the moment is the thread that is keeping my cockerel from ending up at the tanning salon. Just when I start sharpening my knife again, he does something good. I will be overjoyed if he becomes a good husband and even a Dad.

Just a day or so ago, I walked out onto the patio. he ran up to me like he wanted something. I said, " Hello, you look delicious today". He looked at me with one eye, turned and stalked off back to the hens with his head bobbing.

I hope he realized he needs to up his game.

unless you want to breed and/or be sustainable,, not really .. a flock will work better with you without a rooster resisting every single thing you want .. as far as them protecting free rangers from predators, i havent found that to be the case, oh they try, but their strategy is keep them rounded up by the feeder and not roaming and finding food .. and predators will still get them, a rooster makes no difference, half the time theyll get him to lol .. you are the only effective protector of the flock .. a rooster is only good for one thing .. breeding .. other than that theyre aggravating aholes .. they can be good looking birds though, so thats a plus ..

unless you want to breed and/or be sustainable,, not really .. a flock will work better with you without a rooster resisting every single thing you want .. as far as them protecting free rangers from predators, i havent found that to be the case, oh they try, but their strategy is keep them rounded up by the feeder and not roaming and finding food .. and predators will still get them, a rooster makes no difference, half the time theyll get him to lol .. you are the only effective protector of the flock .. a rooster is only good for one thing .. breeding .. other than that theyre aggravating aholes .. they can be good looking birds though, so thats a plus ..

The male isn't there to protect the flock from a predator. The male is there to alert the flock in time that a predator is near so that they can take cover. What breed do you raise, all of mine over the years, no matter how bad they were at caring for the flock, have always moved the hens around

Back
Top Bottom