Any Reason to Keep a Cockerel?

I realise it can be a horrible shock to some people on BYC but most hens I've known like having a rooster around. The cockerels not so much. They'll fuss over him, send him off to bath, rearrange his plumage so it's just right, groom the parts he can't reach and crouch for him if he so much as winks at them.
Shocking or what?
Hens like roosters. It's a natural thing.
Course, if you want to keep a bunch of bickering old biddies who draw lots for whose going to be the man around the place then perhaps a rooster may be too much of a challenge.:p
A bit like humans in that way.

I realise it can be a horrible shock to some people on BYC but most hens I've known like having a rooster around. The cockerels not so much. They'll fuss over him, send him off to bath, rearrange his plumage so it's just right, groom the parts he can't reach and crouch for him if he so much as winks at them.
Shocking or what?
Course, if you want to keep a bunch of bickering old biddies who draw lots for whose going to be the man around the place then perhaps a rooster may be too much of a challenge.:p

Absolutely. Especially at the 1.5-2 year mark is when they really start loving him. They follow him around, they clean him, fight over him, all the things you said and more. Of course it goes both ways. The rooster himself is much more respectful, does not cause unnecessary stress, leads the girl to and from the nest box, keeps an eye out for them, and is much more careful when mating. Some or most of those things can't be found in cockerels, but of course some people don't keep them long enough to find out

Shocking or what?
That, at the moment is the thread that is keeping my cockerel from ending up at the tanning salon. Just when I start sharpening my knife again, he does something good. I will be overjoyed if he becomes a good husband and even a Dad.

Just a day or so ago, I walked out onto the patio. he ran up to me like he wanted something. I said, " Hello, you look delicious today". He looked at me with one eye, turned and stalked off back to the hens with his head bobbing.

I hope he realized he needs to up his game.

That, at the moment is the thread that is keeping my cockerel from ending up at the tanning salon. Just when I start sharpening my knife again, he does something good. I will be overjoyed if he becomes a good husband and even a Dad.

Just a day or so ago, I walked out onto the patio. he ran up to me like he wanted something. I said, " Hello, you look delicious today". He looked at me with one eye, turned and stalked off back to the hens with his head bobbing.

I hope he realized he needs to up his game.
If only more people would do that with their teenage sons who around here seem to have similar behavioural problems to a challenging cockerel.:D

First off, the crowing. I love it. Then we've got the looks. Where even to begin. Huge combs, bright colors, upright posture. Nothing can beat a beautiful rooster in looks.

I realise it can be a horrible shock to some people on BYC but most hens I've known like having a rooster around.

Especially at the 1.5-2 year mark is when they really start loving him.
This is all 100% truth. A chicken is a pack animal. In the animal kingdom, a male is the alpha and a leader (I keep trying to explain this to my wife but it has failed for the last 13 years. Feels like I lay the eggs around here). A hen ABSOLUTLEY feels more secure with a rooster around and it completes the circle of your flock. If not, there won't be a proper pecking order.

In the beginning, I didn't want a rooster for all the reasons folks are saying here. However, I will never live another day without them. They are incredibly majestic and are just flat plain awesome.

However, I will say this does not apply to all roosters. There are certainly some bad eggs (probably the worst pun of my life) and those will do the exact opposite. But just as my friend @fluffycrow said - around the 1.5 year mark is when they will reallly start to respect him.

Also, good odds getting only one cockerel when that many chicks. Seems like this has been the year of about 1 cockerel to 2 hens.

My hens are so much happier with a rooster around. Before we got them menfolk, the second in command of the hens started transitioning, growing spurs and crowing... she would get a bit aggressive with my dogs and wouldn't lay anymore.

We got a couple of handsome boys and she reverted back to her old self and is one of the most popular and docile in the flock, and lays her lovely big eggs again.

Our roos are gentle and sweet with us, treat their ladies well, and move them around the garden for forage. It's a much healthier and more interesting dynamic IMO.

Thanks so much for all the replies. You've given us much to think about. This morning I found that one of our Sapphire Gems is also making his presence known.
Should we decide to keep one of them my vote would be for the Black Cochin.

We've had them since chicks and now they're 14 weeks so I'm curious what would be a fair price to ask if we sell one or both?

If you have small children who help with chores and gather eggs you may not want to keep a rooster in a contained run.They can become territorial and aggressive at times. If you plan to let the hens hatch their own chicks and free range you need at least one rooster.

Back
Top Bottom