1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any suggestions on trapping coyotes?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KristyHall, Jun 14, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I have coyotes that are boldly wandering into my yard during the day and getting chickens. it has not been much of a problem this year since I thoroughly secured the fencing but I saw one coming into my yard, stalking along the fence, trying to find a way to get to the birds.

SO I think I need to be proactive. Any suggestions on how to catch a coyote without risking injury to my other animals?

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Do not trap them, shoot them.

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    I would suggest a snare trap if you cant or dont know how to use leg holds. You can buy large enough live traps but they arent the best animal to live trap (easyily I must say)

5. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    pips&peeps :

Do not trap them, shoot them.

I try to shoot them, and we got one last year, but i rarely carry a gun on me when in the garden and that is when I spot the blasted things​

6. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:would the snare or leg trap hurt my cats if they get caught in it, or my dog if he takes off after one of the coyotes and get caught in a trap?

7. colebarnhart

Quote:would the snare or leg trap hurt my cats if they get caught in it, or my dog if he takes off after one of the coyotes and get caught in a trap?

Yes, I would think so. Probably break a cat's leg or maybe kill it if it's big & strong enough to catch and hold a coyote.

8. colebarnhart

Have your dogs help and all of you could urinate around your coop/run area and/or around the perimeter of where you let the chix free range. It's supposed to keep coyotes away, it's free and worth a try anyway [​IMG]

9. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:It was suggested to me to do this ( and it worked)
    Cage 1 chicken in a very safe cage, open area, safe to shoot.
    sit on the porch and watch.
    If you do this, They will come...

10. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    They are sold with a stop that keeps it from strangling, a cat would slip right through it. You position it for the target animal heigth so a cat isnt really a concern. A snare traps around the neck not the leg, unless you buy and set for a foot hold.

Snares can be very effective especially when a fox or yote is patroling a fenceline

http://www.snareshop.com/Coyote-Snares/products/238/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by