Any tips on tapping a 2" pvc pipe through the curved wall of an Igloo jug?

SteveE

Songster
May 2, 2020
Central PA
MY QUESTION... I want to tap a 2" pvc pipe through the curved wall of an Igloo 5 gallon jug. Do you have any tips on fittings or installation to get a good seal, since the wall of these coolers is curved? Thanks!

Details....

I'm choosing a design for a reliable water system at 0 degrees F.

So far I've decided to use a cooler (for the built in insulation) and similar to pdklein88's design I'll use a water jug style. I can get a nearly free rectangular camp cooler style like Chicken Techie used, but I'm going for less surface area to volume and a more vertical 'water tower' type reservoir (so the water level stays higher than the nipples as long as possible). For both reasons I'll use a store bought 5-gallon Igloo water jug.

I like the approach used by CovertChickenOps, in their revised design, with an aquarium heater right in the 2" pvc with the nipples. I may back that up with another in the main reservoir, we'll see.

I see many people have used 3/4" fittings to go through the wall of their coolers.... I assume that's just for convenience, given the size of spout's hole as made in the factory. I think I'd like to pass the 2" pipe all the way through to the main reservoir to help prevent freeze up in very cold temps. Since the wall of the Igloo is curved, do you have ideas for fittings and install tips to get a good 4-season seal?

Thanks!

MY QUESTION... I want to tap a 2" pvc pipe through the curved wall of an Igloo 5 gallon jug. Do you have any tips on fittings or installation to get a good seal, since the wall of these coolers is curved? Thanks!

Details....

I'm choosing a design for a reliable water system at 0 degrees F.

So far I've decided to use a cooler (for the built in insulation) and similar to pdklein88's design I'll use a water jug style. I can get a nearly free rectangular camp cooler style like Chicken Techie used, but I'm going for less surface area to volume and a more vertical 'water tower' type reservoir (so the water level stays higher than the nipples as long as possible). For both reasons I'll use a store bought 5-gallon Igloo water jug.

I like the approach used by CovertChickenOps, in their revised design, with an aquarium heater right in the 2" pvc with the nipples. I may back that up with another in the main reservoir, we'll see.

I see many people have used 3/4" fittings to go through the wall of their coolers.... I assume that's just for convenience, given the size of spout's hole as made in the factory. I think I'd like to pass the 2" pipe all the way through to the main reservoir to help prevent freeze up in very cold temps. Since the wall of the Igloo is curved, do you have ideas for fittings and install tips to get a good 4-season seal?

Thanks!
I would use a 2" bulkhead fitting. They are made to use on barrels which also have a curved wall.

Also a heat gun can help...

True enough, but that only works if there is someone there. The idea I'm going for is hands off reliability for when I'm gone for 3-4 days. Sure I can have friends check on them, but the more I can prevent problems the better

True enough, but that only works if there is someone there. The idea I'm going for is hands off reliability for when I'm gone for 3-4 days. Sure I can have friends check on them, but the more I can prevent problems the better
Ha! No, I meant use the heat gun to get a good tight fitting.

A 2" bung or bulkhead fitting can be found at most farm stores or hardware stores along with the spraying equipment. Probably be $20 or so. A bit pricey but work pretty good.
I used that on an insulated 55 gal rain collection barrel fitted with an insulated header with nipple waterers. Heat was a stock tank heater and a small fountain pump circulated the heated water to the header then back to the barrel. Never froze in Indiana winters. Wish I still had it but the guy that bought my house wanted it on the deal.

A 2" bung or bulkhead fitting can be found at most farm stores or hardware stores along with the spraying equipment.

Thanks, my local TSC didn't have the fitting and couldn't get it, but weirdly it was on the shelf at the TSC 40 miles away. Go figure. I confess I Amazoned one and it should arrive in a few days.

"spraying equipment"? You mean the pump you used for circulation? And did you DIY insulate that barrel or find a product with insulation built in?

"spraying equipment"? You mean the pump you used for circulation?
No the bung or bulkhead fitting was in the farm section for spraying equipment. The pump i used was a small fountain pump for a water feature.

You can make a fitting that is "ok" with a firehose oring, male pvc fitting, & female pvc fitting if you aren't passing through something too thick or can cut the outer layer & insulation back. Ive done that before but not as reliable connection as the bung fitting. Probably spend half as much doing that but possibly replacing it later or damaging your reservoir. Don't ask how I know

Back
Top Bottom