Any ways I can help my hen lose weight?

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
Circling back to my issue of an obese hen,
how can I help her lose weight besides limiting treats and food?

They are not free range but have a large run and many roosts (she cant go up roosts yet)

I’m confident i can help her lose weight and be healthy again. If anyone has tips it will help greatly.

I've never had the issue, but just my ideas if I did.

I would only give her the chicken feed, nothing else, and try get her outside more for exercise. Can you make a ramp she has to climb to get to the roosts? That's exercise!

If you must, a little scrambled eggs or fresh greens could be a healthier treat than most.

She is on layer feed I presume? A cheaper kind may have a little higher fat than a more pricey one. I would investigate the feed and try find one that's a bit lower than the others, but I'm sure the difference is minuscule. It's just maybe worth checking on it though.
I do have a ramp in the run that connects to a roosting bar, but she doesn't seem like she wants to go on it. She can fly up to the sleeping area though, so I know she is capable of it. She's just kind of scared that she will fall.

I'll look at the kind of feed when I get home! Ty for your help!

I've never had the issue, but just my ideas if I did.

I would only give her the chicken feed, nothing else, and try get her outside more for exercise. Can you make a ramp she has to climb to get to the roosts? That's exercise!

If you must, a little scrambled eggs or fresh greens could be a healthier treat than most.

She is on layer feed I presume? A cheaper kind may have a little higher fat than a more pricey one. I would investigate the feed and try find one that's a bit lower than the others, but I'm sure the difference is minuscule. It's just maybe worth checking on it though.

Overweight animals are just like people; decrease the caloric intake, add some exercise, and both help maintain, lower weight.

You could try come up with things in the run like a pile of leaves, bale of straw/hay, a small stack of firewood, etc. Things for them to scratch around in or climb on.
Thank you :) She loves to dust bathe/scratch around. She also runs when she sees me. She gets exercise but not as much as I would like.

Put her into a nest with fake eggs. If is from an appropriate race will enter in broading mode and stop eating for 21 days, maybe a month. If is obese now, will exit from the experience much healthier

Or put her in a pan and it will be super delicious. You can always replace it with a healthy hen.

Circling back to my issue of an obese hen,
how can I help her lose weight besides limiting treats and food?

They are not free range but have a large run and many roosts (she cant go up roosts yet)

I’m confident i can help her lose weight and be healthy again. If anyone has tips it will help greatly.
I had a big hen once that i helped loose weight because she kept having problems with being eggbound. I cut out all treats and only gave her chicken feed, I also gave her veggies and other food just not fatty foods. And when she molted she lost a lot of her weight and after that I made sure to cut back on treats and still do. She gets them every once in a while but not many as she just gains weight very fast. Also if it’s possible let them roam free. If not all day then just for a few hours or even just an hour where she can have a chance to roam around😊

Put her into a nest with fake eggs. If is from an appropriate race will enter in broading mode and stop eating for 21 days, maybe a month. If is obese now, will exit from the experience much healthier

Or put her in a pan and it will be super delicious. You can always replace it with a healthy hen.
Thanks! She is a pet chicken so I won't be eating her. Maybe she will start laying again soon and will lose weight.

I do have a ramp in the run that connects to a roosting bar, but she doesn't seem like she wants to go on it. She can fly up to the sleeping area though, so I know she is capable of it. She's just kind of scared that she will fall.

I'll look at the kind of feed when I get home! Ty for your help!
Overweight animals are just like people; decrease the caloric intake, add some exercise, and both help maintain, lower weight.

You could try come up with things in the run like a pile of leaves, bale of straw/hay, a small stack of firewood, etc. Things for them to scratch around in or climb on.

That's not exactly helpful... brooding is hormone driven.

Back
Top Bottom