Anybody have any pics of chocolate or dun colored chickens,dun sumatra

Here is her hatch mate, a young cockerel that looked like what I've found in chocolate chick down photo's

In chick down
8809_seramachick2_04feb10_02.jpg

As he began feathering out, he looks black but his chick down was not right for a black chick. He does have some brown tones now but also some green sheen to a couple tail feathers too. What color is he?

8809_seramachick2_4mar2010_02.jpg

Are those from Jerry? I don't believe many serama breeders are breeding toward any particular color. The result of that is a mess of variations. I believe Jerry is breeding for chocolate but, I don't believe, those are 100% stable. I may be wrong. So, it is my belief that your chicks may be carrying chocolate among other things. Cho is recessive so I don't know how that would appear with other genes
idunno.gif

Yes, all mine are from Jerry's. Here is the hen they're out of

This first picture isn't in very good lighting
8809_serama01oct09.jpg

Here she is in better lighting but not standing up as pretty
8809_seramahendiamond05mar2010_02.jpg

Actually dun, looks a lot like chocolate. Chocolate is the sex linked gene in seramas, I believe? Dun is dominant, has nothing to do with sex, and acts more like andalusian blue than it does lavender (which is recessive, but its the same "diluter" principle tho). Two copies of the dun gene makes khaki, whereas, two copies of the andalusian blue gene makes splash.

Here is my WC chocolate (dun) bantam Polish hen:

20890_wm_1001_polish_chocolate.jpg

Last edited:
We have a breeding pen of true chocolate OEG bantams. I don't have pics at the moment, but I will be offering eggs for sale in the next few weeks. Wait till you see these beauty's.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom