anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

I am going to sprout oats for the winter as the rain here takes nutrients out of the ground, and the local grange had oats. I have jars and a heat lamp I was thinking of usining as we have had less sunshine than usual this year. Anything I'm not thinking of.
I've sprouted oats but for some unknown reason, barley, wheat, BOSS and peas sprout much better.

Well, I've tried several batches of wheat that came from my sister, with no sprouting happening at all. Does anyone have any suggestions for inexpensive sources of grains?

I take it you've sprouted successfully before and run into a problem with these. I might suggest to try a short soak initially. Perhaps only an hour or two. Longer soaks over plump the grain.
Wherever it comes from, make sure it is intended for feed rather than seed or it may have mold inhibitors or other chemicals on it.

I buy BOSS from the pets store, it is about $0.4/lb, for sprouting. It is sold as bird seed. For human food, bulkfoods.com is the best online outlet. But many whole seeds from the feed store should sprout, including corn.

I like to sprout BOSS or striped. It sprouts so fast, perhaps because the hull holds moisture.

I hear that Walmart sells bulk wheat which sprouts well.

Hoosier, where did your sister get her wheat, how has it been stored, and how old is it? Hers may be old, heat treated, improperly stored. I bought my 50# bags of wheat and barley from the feed store, and they are sprouting fine. (a bit pricey at $25/bag) Other options include: millet, BOSS, lentils (from the grocery store sprout fine) and seeds which are packaged and meant to be used as deer fodder. (be sure they are not coated, or treated with fungicide. Thanks Kassaundra for the excellent recommendation re: this product!)

Thanks for the tip on walmart. I'll look around and compare prices.

I take it you've sprouted successfully before and run into a problem with these. I might suggest to try a short soak initially. Perhaps only an hour or two. Longer soaks over plump the grain.
Wherever it comes from, make sure it is intended for feed rather than seed or it may have mold inhibitors or other chemicals on it.

I have not sprouted grains before; this is my first run at it.

The wheat I have came from the Mormon church, in #10 cans. I'll try it again with a shorter initial soak and see if I get a better result. I also have another can I haven't opened, I can try it and see if I get a different result.

I've sprouted oats but for some unknown reason, barley, wheat, BOSS and peas sprout much better.

. Perhaps only an hour or two. Longer soaks over plump the grain.

I like to sprout BOSS or striped. It sprouts so fast, perhaps because the hull holds moisture.
A lot of people don't have as good luck with oats. I agree: play around with soak times, be sure you rinse 2x/day, or more. Try a final rise with hydrogen peroxide (followed by a fresh water rinse), or a drop or 2 of dish soap (no antibacterial agents added) and don't have the layer of seeds too deep. Initially, a single layer, or definitely less than 1/2" until you get a handle on what works for you. A lot of my advice is gleaned from Kassaundra, as well as what I've learned from sprouting for my own kitchen use.

I struggled with fodder for some time which was frustrating to someone that believes they have a green thumb.
It was either getting lots of fungus quickly or very slow to sprout.
Finally, a 2 hour soak, thoroughly rinsing dirty water and 2-4 rinses a day, keeping it between 60 and 70F, then voilà.

Well, I've tried several batches of wheat that came from my sister, with no sprouting happening at all. Does anyone have any suggestions for inexpensive sources of grains?

Yup. Plotspike. I have superb results with their Forage Oats. At Tractor Supply, 25.00 for 50 lbs. they also have a 25 lb. bag. http://www.plotspike.com/ They were created by specialized linebreeding at Louisiana State University circa 2002. I use the jar method with no fancy extras. Just the jar covered with a single layer of plain brown burlap ( Jo-Ann's Fabrics, 1.00 a yd.) . one inch of forage oats in the bottom of a 24 oz. jar. Mouth of jar should be same as diameter of jar to make it easy to get the sprouts out. Rinse 2x a day ( morning and evening with plain tap water at room temp. I sit mine on the kitchen counter. Feed as green feed ( 4 days and older) ; 1 cubic inch per bird per day ; I use sprouts 4 thru 7 days old. easy peasey.
Best,
Karen
On the 4th day, a nutritional change takes place in the sprout and it changes from grain feed to green feed. Older than seven days and one runs the risk of the sprouts going sour. Grain feed is sprouts from 1 thru 3 days old. It is fed as part of the daily ration.
Green feed is sprouts 4 days and older. It is fed as a supplement to the daily ration. Green feed is used to help bring hens into lay. And to help the cocks produce more robust sperm to help result in more robust chicks.
Feed oats are the oats one feeds their livestock. Forage oats are the oats a farmer plants his fields with ( or hunters plant feed plots with) so the animals eat in the pasture/plot.

Last edited:
Yup. Plotspike. I have superb results with their Forage Oats. At Tractor Supply, 25.00 for 50 lbs. they also have a 25 lb. bag. http://www.plotspike.com/ They were created by specialized linebreeding at Louisiana State University circa 2002. I use the jar method with no fancy extras. Just the jar covered with a single layer of plain brown burlap ( Jo-Ann's Fabrics, 1.00 a yd.) . one inch of forage oats in the bottom of a 24 oz. jar. Mouth of jar should be same as diameter of jar to make it easy to get the sprouts out. Rinse 2x a day ( morning and evening with plain tap water at room temp. I sit mine on the kitchen counter. Feed as green feed ( 4 days and older) ; 1 cubic inch per bird per day ; I use sprouts 4 thru 7 days old. easy peasey.
Best,
Karen
On the 4th day, a nutritional change takes place in the sprout and it changes from grain feed to green feed. Older than seven days and one runs the risk of the sprouts going sour. Grain feed is sprouts from 1 thru 3 days old. It is fed as part of the daily ration.
Green feed is sprouts 4 days and older. It is fed as a supplement to the daily ration. Green feed is used to help bring hens into lay. And to help the cocks produce more robust sperm to help result in more robust chicks.
Feed oats are the oats one feeds their livestock. Forage oats are the oats a farmer plants his fields with ( or hunters plant feed plots with) so the animals eat in the pasture/plot.
Thank you for that!

Now, here's a thought that's been running around in my head... during the wee hours of the morning, when normal people are dreaming of sugar plums! I have about 100# of squash sitting in my basement. And, while I save seeds and am looking forward to seeing what the F2 hybrids produce for me this year, (F1 = Giant 20# buttercup x Red Kuri = 20# orange buttercup), I certainly don't need to plant all the seeds from all those squash. Also have saved my cucumber seeds, but again, won't need to use all of the seeds saved. So, my plan is to sprout some of those seeds, to include them with the usual sprout fare. I bet the chickens will love them!

Back
Top Bottom